Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts ID

Looking for help identifying these case savers. Thanks bmac
    Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM.

uh....they look like case savers.....Like ALL case savers. Kinda hard to tell what model theyd be for. Can you get some measurements off of them?

Comment

case savers

I was told when I bought them that they would fit an 82 850.They were taken off an 850. Wrong, I had cleaned them up, (they were far more in worse condition) and discovered they were wrong. What dimensions would I be measuring? Upper bracket attachments are even and the lower one is stepped. Would seem to fit (if) I would attach to the motor mount frame (upper) and then use a 3/4 inch spacer for the lower bracket. But, I know that is wrong. I have an 82 1100 that I bought case savers for and they fit like a glove, completely different. bmac

Comment

Send em to me! I will see if they fit my 1000G...LMAO...I will measure the ones that are ON my 1000G, leg to leg, length etc, and try to get you that info and then you can see if it matches...

Comment

On my 1100 the case savers fit flush to the mounts at all three points. But on my GS1000 I needed a spacer for the lower mounts. The spacer came with the bars when I bought 'em. These bars you have would appear to have the same configuration. Using a spacer at the lower point would not be wrong if it aligns the bars at all three points.

Comment

Aye, Ive had to use a spacer on some myself, always on the bottom...

Comment

Savers

Yes, Thats my thought on the spacers at the bottom. The thought of mounting the top to the frame (engine mount) seems to be a little undesireable. My thought if the bike were to go (down) seems like it would bend the frame at the upper attachments. Just thinking and probably putting way to much into that. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                Yes, Thats my thought on the spacers at the bottom. The thought of mounting the top to the frame (engine mount) seems to be a little undesireable. My thought if the bike were to go (down) seems like it would bend the frame at the upper attachments. Just thinking and probably putting way to much into that. Bob
                Bob, I'd say your fears are unfounded. The frame is not going to bend because of those case guards. The mounting tabs are made of cheap pot metal, and will crack or shear easily. I have found two mounts cracked. One on each bike. Must be from vibration, as neither bike has been down.

Your frame is pre-stressed during manufacturing. And thus, is stronger than you may think. Not saying it can't bend. But the case saver is the weaker link in this case.

Comment

Working...
                X