buzzing/rattling exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buzzing/rattling exhaust

I have a 1980 gs 550e with a kerker 4 into 1 on it. I get a bad buzzing from somewher in the exhaust from 5500 to 6000rpm, It's worse when moving and dosent matter what gear it's in. and it's hardley noticable when on the center stand. I have new exhaust seals in the head and everything is tight. Any Ideas?
    Thanks mike

check the baffle in the muffler section. The screws could be loose.Or, remove the baffle and see if the problem goes away. you will have to rejet
    the carbs if you run without the baffle also it will be loud.Good Luck.

Comment

I found the problem. Had the bolt that secures the tank on a little tight. and that was causing the noise. It shure sounded like it was from the exhaust but i was able to figure it out with the bike on the center stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Jost
        I found the problem. Had the bolt that secures the tank on a little tight. and that was causing the noise. It sure sounded like it was from the exhaust but i was able to figure it out with the bike on the centre stand.
        I have an exhaust system that is prone to leaking and i am always thinking the engine is coming apart till i check the tightness. I guess after riding the same bike for a while, we learn what it sounds like and every little new squeak or whatever sounds like a melt down.

Comment

Working...
        X