Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy method removing GS1100G starter?

Hi!

I have a possible problem with the starter, it cranks slowly and draws a lot of power.

Having searched the forums for solutions I have found that it could be a good thing to check the brushes and clean and service the rest of the starter.

What is the most elegant method to use when removing the starter?

Do I need to open the stator cover or is it possible to slide the starter backwards in its cradle and remove it without opening the cover?
    My service manual isn't very detailed about this.

All help and suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Need to remove the chrome cover over the starter, inside their are two bolts remove them and the starter can be slid back & removed. It is much easier with the carbs removed. Make sure to replace the lg O ring on the starter
    www.stockers.com for starter parts

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      Need to remove the chrome cover over the starter, inside their are two bolts remove them and the starter can be slid back & removed. It is much easier with the carbs removed. Make sure to replace the lg O ring on the starter
      www.stockers.com for starter parts

Now that is succinct!

All points covered, in a very few words.

And I second the choice of Stockers....good people with good service for good products, and they sell at good prices.

Remember.....BEFORE opening your starter case, look for the check marks on the case and on the cap. They have to match when you re-assemble the starter.

Or, use your wife/daughter's nail polish and make a stripe across both parts and then open it.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks to both of you! Very quick replys!
        And as argonsagas said, SquareDancerLynn1 was sharp and to the point!

I have visited the stockers website and they have what I need - but I also found another question or two!

When looking at kits for overhauling the starter I discovered they have kits for starters with 2 or 4 brushes, so now I'm wondering if there a way to tell what kind of starter I've got without removing it?

Is it possible to order the 4 brush kit and use the remaining 2 brushes as spares if my starter is the kind that only have two?

I hope somone at this fine forum got some answers!

Comment

[QUOTE=GS1100G;1034557]Thanks to both of you! Very quick replys!
          And as argonsagas said, SquareDancerLynn1 was sharp and to the point!

I have visited the stockers website and they have what I need - but I also found another question or two!

When looking at kits for overhauling the starter I discovered they have kits for starters with 2 or 4 brushes, so now I'm wondering if there a way to tell what kind of starter I've got without removing it?

Is it possible to order the 4 brush kit and use the remaining 2 brushes as spares if my starter is the kind that only have two?

I hope somone at this fine forum got some answers! [/QUOTE

My 78 GS1000 starter has two brushes. I would look it up under OEM parts microfiche on Bikebandit.com. And I would get an OEM part just to be assured of a good fit. And you might find like I did, that the brushes were ok, just real dirty.

Comment

Thanks!

I will remove and clean starter this evening.
            Hopefully it's just in need of a good cleanup!

Arnulf

Comment

I had the same issue as you last year. I removed the starter without removing the carbs. Not that bad. A little wiggling and jiggling. My starter had a two brush setup. There are wear lines on the brushes and I still had a fair amount of meat left. Lightly dressed the armature where the brushes contact and lightly dressed the brushes. Also cleaned the grooves on the armature contact surface. Cleaned it all up with Brakekleen and it's been good to go ever since.

Comment

Ditto on Stockers. I removed and installed mine without removing the carbs. No problems.

Comment

I removed the starter today with no big problems.

Stator cover did not need to be removed, I found that out after removing it.
                  Need learning to read posts properly - mixed stator and starter cover.

The gasket were pretty good so I didn't replace it, but I have a new question.

When removing the stator cover some oil dribbled out, and I'm wondering if this is the same oil that lubricates the engine?

I could not find any way to add oil to the stator housing, except adding some through the hole the starter is mounted in.

Anyway I will check the engine oil level before starting the engine, as about one decilitre dribbled out.

New info:
                  Cleaned and mounted the starter, brushes ok. Starts as it should!
                  Decided to remove air intake box and carburettors as I had trouble matching the holes with the bolts.
                  Found out it was a good thing that I ordered new boots as the old ones are crumbling.
                  Moved vacum tube from number one to number two carburettor as in service manual.

Going for a testride now!
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Your stator is lightly bathed with engine oil. What you had dribble out when you pulled your stator cover off was indeed engine oil. Once you have it all buttoned up check your engine oil level via the site glass on the clutch cover as you normally do. Add engine oil using the clutch cover filler to bring to the appropriate level and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Thanks for the reply jetta90, I assumed it was engine oil but it is better to be sure!

I also used a brass brush on my electric drill to clean both the starter and the mounts on the engine and I now know for sure that it is grounded properly.

Air intake boots on carb. 2 and 3 were not connected as they should to the carburettors, so when I got them to seal good the odd cough and stutter went away. It seems that some PO had bent the airfilter box so that the middle two boots could not reach as far as they should.

Carburettors looked nice and clean!

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
                        I had the same issue as you last year. I removed the starter without removing the carbs. Not that bad. A little wiggling and jiggling. My starter had a two brush setup. There are wear lines on the brushes and I still had a fair amount of meat left. Lightly dressed the armature where the brushes contact and lightly dressed the brushes. Also cleaned the grooves on the armature contact surface. Cleaned it all up with Brakekleen and it's been good to go ever since.
                        I am doing this now...am curious with the part about "dressing up the brushes"...how is this done and what is used???

Comment

Originally posted by slowpokezuki View Post
                          I am doing this now...am curious with the part about "dressing up the brushes"...how is this done and what is used???
                          Very light emery cloth just to break the glaze on the ends of the brushes. You DO NOT want to sand them flat. If you do that the arcing and sparking will just lead to more residue build up.

BE FOREWARNED: I did this last year and it's been fine but last weekend I got a little hesitation on a hot start, just once but it made me think. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X