Going to order the R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to order the R/R

Actually, I thought I had already ordered one for my GS1100GL but Electrosport didn't find my order I placed Saturday in their system. They told me to check my credit card company and make sure I was not charged before trying again.

So I guess that gives me a moment think about it and ask what are my buying options?

Tom MLC came over helped me go through the stator papers and we got to the last test where you needed a diode tester and I did not have one. At that last step it is either the R/R or the battery, and the battery checks out so I figured that is the only other thing it could be wrong when you get that far down the flow chart so go ahead and order it so it will be here by this Saturday. The stator is solid with 65VAC on all three wires. If that wasn't enough I've got two friends laughing at me who said from day one that was my problem!

OK, enough justificaiton. Where can I get my hands on a new quality r/r, pronto?

Thanks!
    -Bob

Did you ask Duane ?

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Personally I would go with Duane

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Personally I would go with Duane
        x2 on this one....Fast shipping and a good unit....

Comment

The only reason I can think of to not contact Duane would be if you wanted to try one of the newer FET-based regulators.

But, you would have to wait for one to come up on eBay, then take your chances on whether they were any good.
          Getting one from Duane is a done deal. He tests them, then puts on the right connectors and ships them for a very reasonable price.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pics of my R/R

Thanks everyone for the tip. I sent Duane a PM and waiting for response.

Here are some shots of my R/R/ and connector.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The only reason I can think of to not contact Duane would be if you wanted to try one of the newer FET-based regulators.

But, you would have to wait for one to come up on eBay, then take your chances on whether they were any good.
            Getting one from Duane is a done deal. He tests them, then puts on the right connectors and ships them for a very reasonable price.

Comment

Order from Duane placed

Called Duane and placed the order. Great guy. We could talk for hours. Sengin it priorty mail so it should be her by Saturday or earlier.

Sounds like I got some extra wiring to do to make the Honda work but it should be well worth the extra effort.

Thanks again, GSR!

-Bob

Comment

Duane is the man. I'm lucky enough to have him 30 miles away --- 20 minute ride on my bike .

This weekend he personally installed a Honda R/R on my 1100E. My original was charging just fine, but ya know.... why take a chance.

Comment

My Duane R/R needed quite a bit of rewiring and even some bracket fab'in to get it in. But it was WELL worth it. I did it with the relay mod at the same time, and the previous owner was amazed at how fast it starts now. Best mod out there, no more dikkin around trying to get it to start, just get on and ride!

Comment

The late model 550 bikes have an annoying pocket on them for the RR to mount in, only the sh-535 model can fit in there, the other versions don't. Electrically the 550s from around '85 also used different connectors, again it seems to be unique to certain 1985 and 1986 550's
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                      Duane is the man. I'm lucky enough to have him 30 miles away --- 20 minute ride on my bike .

This weekend he personally installed a Honda R/R on my 1100E. My original was charging just fine, but ya know.... why take a chance.
                      Driving at 90 MPH eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                        Driving at 90 MPH eh?
                        In that area, that's the minimum speed.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                          The late model 550 bikes have an annoying pocket on them for the RR to mount in, only the sh-535 model can fit in there, the other versions don't. Electrically the 550s from around '85 also used different connectors, again it seems to be unique to certain 1985 and 1986 550's
                          From what ive played with the ignitors on those bikes WONT work with others, and vice verce too..

Comment

Driving at 90 MPH eh?
                            my speedo only goes to 85 mph . . .

Comment

Driving at 90 MPH eh?
                              With rain imminent he's clocked in at 24 minutes.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X