Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone cut their stock exhaust?

Hi all..

Well...the title says it all. My "somewhat" stock-butchered-mismatched exhaust on my 79' GS1000 is in real rough shape...they don't match, as the ends of both are different styles, one side is pretty much hollow, the last 1/3 of the pipe, and the other has rust holes all along the bottom the last 1/3 of the pipe. So I guess I just wondering if anyone has tempted to cut their exhaust, and what resulted? I have 4 k & n pod filters, and the carb has been jetted in anticipation of getting a 4 into 1, but my budget is tight for a while....so any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff (teet)
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2009, 11:23 PM.

i had one set with good header and bad muffler, and another with good muffler and bad header. i cut them right after the Y and welded the good parts together. it worked pretty well. i seem to remember there being an inner pipe that i had to deal with too. don't really remember what i had to do with that.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

The exhaust on my bike is the stock GS750ES header pipes and 4-2 collector with the megaphones cut off and Hayabusa mid pipes & cans grafted on. I cut the midpipe fittings off a 'busa header and welded them on to the stubs where the megaphones were.

See pics in the link in my sig.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
        The exhaust on my bike is the stock GS750ES header pipes and 4-2 collector with the megaphones cut off and Hayabusa mid pipes & cans grafted on. I cut the midpipe fittings off a 'busa header and welded them on to the stubs where the megaphones were.

See pics in the link in my sig.

/\/\ac

Thanks for the Idea, that might be the route to take. My local craigslist seems to be riddled with stock sportbike exhaust pretty cheap, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

thanks

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Working...
        X