tires-wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires-wheels

I have a GS550L with a flat rear tire so i ordered a new tire thinking it had tubeless tires then found it has a tube.Can i run a tubeless tire or do i need a tube for it?
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

If you do it yourself like I do use a tube.
    Check the rim it should be marked tubeless and if a shop does it go tubeless.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I do all my tire work and never use a tube. Why use one?

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
        Most people don't have the tools to seat the beads. How do you do it?
        Hairspray and a lighter?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well...maybe because most GS's have rims designed to take a tube?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have run tubeless on "tube" rims with pretty good success. ALthough, it can be a BI7CH to get them to seat, especially on the fronts for some reason. I would suggest running a tube however, because the early rims were accused of being pourous.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Hairspray and a lighter?
              I have seen the hairspray/lighter fluid videos and they scare me. I just use lube on the tire, a clean rim and about 50 psi.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I have not done a count of bikes produced per year, but the cast rims came out, when, 1976? 1977? "Tubeless" rims started appearing in 1980? 1981? GS production stopped in 1984? 1985? Depending on how many bikes were made in each year, it seems that there might have been more years of production with the "tubeless" rims.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              I have run tubeless on "tube" rims with pretty good success. ALthough, it can be a BI7CH to get them to seat, especially on the fronts for some reason. I would suggest running a tube however, because the early rims were accused of being pourous.
              If you have early (maybe porous) rims, you can apply some epoxy to the inside to seal them, if you really want to go tubeless. Difficulty seating the beads has a lot to do with how the tire has been stored and how well it's lubed. If the tire has been squashed during storage, it will be hard to spread the beads enough for them to grab. If the inner edge of the bead is dry when trying to seat it, it will take a LOT of pressure to get them in place. Generous amounts of lube will help that process.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Hairspray and a lighter?
                I am using DynaBeads ceramic balancing beads from Inovative Balancing, so I want to avoid moisture in the tire. Instead of using soapy water on the beads, I use silicone spray. I spray only the tire beads and not the wheel so as to avoid getting silicone on the brake rotors. I just inflate the tires to the maximum pressure and they usually go "pop" and the beads are seated. If the bead doesn't seat, don't be tempted to add more pressure. Deflate the tire and rotate the tire on the rim about 1/4 turn and give it another go. I've only had to do that once. If you are having a problem with the tire beads meeting the rims so as to take pressure, I use a ratcheting tie-down strap. Just go around the circumference of the tire at the center of the tread with the strap and tighten so the beads meet the rims. Then add some pressure. After the tire starts to take pressure, release the ratchet on the strap. Don't forget to reset the pressure to the proper running pressure. Good luck and be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I could be wrong but I thought that most GS's used cast aluminum wheels, not spokes. Every aluminum wheel I have seen are compatible with tubeless tires. My GS1100 has the word "Tubeless" cast into the edge of the rim.

Comment

I could be wrong but I thought that most GS's used cast aluminum wheels, not spokes. Every aluminum wheel I have seen are compatible with tubeless tires. My GS1100 has the word "Tubeless" cast into the edge of the rim.
                    Yes, yours is among those that are marked "Tubeless". I don't know when the cast wheels came out, but they came with tubes, too. About '80 or '81 some of the rear wheels were marked "Tubeless", but the fronts (on the same bike) were not. About a year later, both wheels had the "Tubeless" markings.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yes, yours is among those that are marked "Tubeless". I don't know when the cast wheels came out, but they came with tubes, too. About '80 or '81 some of the rear wheels were marked "Tubeless", but the fronts (on the same bike) were not. About a year later, both wheels had the "Tubeless" markings.

My '81 is marked that way. I am running tubes in both, anyway.

Comment

Thanks guys i installed the tubeless tire and all is well so far.I am waiting on a set of brake pads so will be a few days before i can ride it which will give me a chance to keep check on the tire pressure.
                        Ed

Comment

Working...
                        X