Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ameen View Post
    Well, i guess the head is coming off tonight. Wish me luck
    Keep us posted, if you can't figure out how the timing is set up, I'll post it for you.

Comment

OK so i got head off last night. I also pulled the motor....by myself...forgetting to disconnect a couple wires...propping the motor on one knee while groping for tools to get everything apart with the other hand. It was and interesting sight to say the least.

well the head is off and the engine is out. Can i power wash the piston heads and valves? how delicate is this stuff?

Thanks
      Ameen

Comment

OK so i got head off last night. I also pulled the motor....by myself...forgetting to disconnect a couple wires...propping the motor on one knee while groping for tools to get everything apart with the other hand. It was and interesting sight to say the least.

well the head is off and the engine is out. Can i power wash the piston heads and valves? how delicate is this stuff?

Thanks
        Ameen
        I can't imagine water is good.

Comment

Good god no man! sheesh. Take some carb cleaner, some wire brushes (plug up the case side piston holes with towels so you dont drop crap down in there) and go to town on the piston heads and valves, but no, you cant PRESSURE wash it...

Comment

Ha....i want thinking water should just evaporate out. Good thing i asked.

I saw 'OEM' gasket sets an ebay for around $50; are they legit?

On another note, ill start getting some pictures up tonight

Comment

Ha....i want thinking water should just evaporate out. Good thing i asked.

I saw 'OEM' gasket sets an ebay for around $50; are they legit?

On another note, ill start getting some pictures up tonight
              If they dont say SUZUKI on them, they are not OEM exact (and apparently you have to watch for fake kits now too?? ) Vesrah, Athena, Cometic, etc etc make aftermarket gaskets for many of the GS series, and, for the most part Ive found them to be ok, EXCEPT the HEAD and BASE gaskets...I would buy REAL OEM for those.. and at that rate, you might as well buy the whole kit.

Comment

picture of the head/valves

Comment

picture 2, i guess i can only do one at time

Comment

pistons, picture 1

Comment

pistons 1 and 2

Comment

and now for 3 and 4

Comment

and of the bike its self. i tried cleaning the head with carb cleaner and a toothbrush so far. couple shots of cleaner on the pistons, so scrubbing yet.

This is my first time inside the engine. Anything stand out to anyone?

thanks

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the photo's.

I've never been in that far so I have nothing to say. Keep at it. Keep taking photo's. I may be there some day. How's the stuck adapter? Have you tried getting it out?

Rick

Comment

still no go on the adapter. if i dont get it out by monday, my neighbor will throw it on a mill for me and get it drilled out nicely

Comment

Just go to the dealer or an online source like flatout for the best gaskets.

Don't buy them off Ebay

The motor looks pretty good, were the rings gummed up?

Get a Photobucket account and post up big photos
                                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                                2007 DRz 400S
                                1999 ATK 490ES
                                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                                X