Heat from fairing lowers GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat from fairing lowers GS1100GK

I know the fairing lowers on my 82 GS1100GK blow hot air on my feet and lower legs. Was wondering if some GK owners knew whether they should be removed during hot weather. I can't really tell if they provide extra cooling for the top of the engine or if it's a poor design and causes extra heat for the engine. I've removed mine because it's getting to hot to have that hot air blowing on me.

I've owned a GK since November, 1999, and have ridden it for 44,000 miles. Whether you remove the lowers to maximize your comfort, it's strictly up to you. I keep my lowers on because of the extra protection against the rain. The heat I can put up with; I find that, for me, putting them on or keeping them off didn't make that much difference.

I hit a deer in December, 2001, that resulted in the total destruction of the stock GK fairing. I've replaced it with a Vetter Windjammer and Vetter lowers. The lowers stay.

Don't worry about the engine. Whether you keep the lowers or not, the engine will continue to work like a charm. It's a magnificent powerplant, and there isn't anything, short of deliberate sabotage, that will make it go south. So, stay cool and keep enjoying the best motorcycle Suzuki ever built -- the GS1100G and GK -- in my not-so-humble opinion...

Nick

Comment

I take mine off in the summer too,because it seems to keep my legs cooler.I'm going to try making a lower windshield one of these days as well.
      Steve
      82 GK

Comment

I take mine off whenever the temp is consistently above 80F.
        Nick is right about them being a great rain shield.
        If I was going to do some touring I'd put them back on
        just for that reason.
        Can't beat'm for the cool or cold weather

Peace
        Mo

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I have been considering the removal of my fairing as well. Any tips or hints for replacing the headlight?? I have the stock (??) Suzuki fairing with a rectagular lamp and recessed turn signals. Is it best to try and find a headlight bucket from a yard or donor bike?? How about the bracketry?

Comment

Working...
            X