Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting problem with my GS1000

so i got this new high flow exhaust can for my GS the hindle
    since i put it on i have been getting the jetting sorted out i'm almost there
    very close now i think i have to go up one more size on the pilots
    but that's not the problem
    the problem is that when ever i open it up now 3/4 throttle or better as the bike approached 110mph it just dies like it's out of fuel i pull in the clutch and coast for 5 seconds or so and then it restarts no problem at all and keeps going as long as i don't open it up too much so I'm thinking it's just draining the float bowls they refill and away it goes as long as i don't open it up again
    the needle and seats are 2.5 carbs are 29MM smoothies any thoughts on how i can solve this problem??
    I'm thinking it may be that the fuel filter is not flowing fast enough for the higher rate of fuel consumption now that my engine is breathing the way it should or that the petcock screen is plugged up a bit but it doesn't seem to be but I'll check it anyhow
    any other thoughts are welcome
    i can ride it all day long as long as i don't open it up
    so what are your thoughts on this and how can i fix it??
    Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2011, 06:36 AM.

If youre running an inline filter, ditch it. At that consumption rate, unless (and likely even IF) you are running a MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC fuel filter, its NOT flowing fast enough. I ran one for a while, simply because i thought maybe there was some crap in my tank. Turned out there wasnt, and i ditched it pronto. Besides, the screens in those petcocks (provided yours is still intact..which, if you're starting to question the petcock, maybe its time to get a new one) are pretty damn good filters themselves. If THAT doesnt seem to cure it, "signing off" is a symptom of being too rich. Its possible your main is too rich, but it would likely show up elsewhere too.

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but the same thing happened to me... is your petcock operating correctly? I tested mine with a flow meter, swapped the pancake fuel filter with the meter and tested it through the throttle. Come to find out, it was cutting the flow around 7-8k rpms! rebuilt it and never had the problem again.

Comment

I have a fuel filter filter - same setup just a Yosh pipe. No probs. I have a new petcock & junk can still get past the screen - I'm on my 2nd filter now.

If the tank is clean you shouldn't need one though.

Sounds like Jetting issues to me. Do you have a DJ kit installed?

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          I have a fuel filter filter - same setup just a Yosh pipe. No probs. I have a new petcock & junk can still get past the screen - I'm on my 2nd filter now.

If the tank is clean you shouldn't need one though.

Sounds like Jetting issues to me. Do you have a DJ kit installed?

Dan
          Do they MAKE a DJ kit for 29 smoothies?? I wasnt honestly aware. If you DONT have one, and they DO make it, get it! Dan and I will both attest it makes life SOOOOOO much easier...why, I even have some hair left!!

Comment

Filters are fine, as long as yours flows enough fuel...
            So test it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              If youre running an inline filter, ditch it. At that consumption rate, unless (and likely even IF) you are running a MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC fuel filter, its NOT flowing fast enough. I ran one for a while, simply because i thought maybe there was some crap in my tank. Turned out there wasnt, and i ditched it pronto. Besides, the screens in those petcocks (provided yours is still intact..which, if you're starting to question the petcock, maybe its time to get a new one) are pretty damn good filters themselves. If THAT doesnt seem to cure it, "signing off" is a symptom of being too rich. Its possible your main is too rich, but it would likely show up elsewhere too.
              i don't think it's too rich not according to my plugs i have 22.5 pilots 2 turns on the air screws and 117.5 mains needles are on position 4 and it pulls really hard until it dies if anything i am maybe one size too small on the mains defiantly not rich from what my plugs say
              also i'm fairly sure that they don't make a DJ kit for smoothies only the stock carbs
              Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2009, 05:05 AM.

Comment

It is just possible that your gas cap is not venting properly. Suzie Q has had an issue sometimes when the tank is down about 1/3 she starves out but will turn 65-70 just not have fuel to go any faster. I cleaned the gas cap vent, took it apart, didn't see any problems, put it back together and that seems to have fixed it. Yes I run a filter.
                V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

you know i just noticed that i never posted what i did to fix this problem of it sucking the float bowls dry at 3/4 to full throttle

so here we go the solution to my woes was this
                  i first went and got some 5/16th fuel hose and replaced the stock hose with it it all the way to the carbs
                  i then went to my local suzuki/honda dealer and got a nice high flow inline fuel filter from a CBR 1000

now the next thing i did was to install a inline fuel shut off valve because the 29's don't have a vacuum line to run the petcock so in order for them to get fuel the petcock must be in the prime position nor do the 29's have float bowl drain and overflow hoses so that if they decide to leak the fuel goes right into the engine and not out the hoses

by adding this shut off valve i save a problem of fuel pouring into the motor if the carbs ever decide to leak but they haven't yet
                  another added bonus of this little mod is that it makes a good theft deterrent cause even if they take it they won't get it to run without fuel flow so they leave it and move on to something else

and to finish it all off i used some nice small hose clamps on all the connections just to be sure there were no leaks

and i have had none since i did this in July 2009 so this will be the third season( in a few months) with this mod and not a leak or a problem with it cutting out since i did this
                  i can pull hard all the way to redline without a problem now

Comment

Working...
                  X