Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me 1982 GS750T

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased a 1982 GS750T which did not run. Well after several searched and endless hours of reading threads on here, I now have it running well at idle. The problem I am having now is that at lower RPM's I can rev the bike with almost no problem. But if I rev it to a higher RPM it will go but almost stall out if I rev it again to a high RPM.

So far I have clean and rebuilt the carbs about 4 times (thinking something was clogging something in there), new plugs, air filter, oil change and a new petcock. I have also synced the carbs with a meter.

When cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, the only thing I didn't do was set the float height. I am thinking that when I rev it to a high RPM it is starving for fuel. Am I on the right track? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Lloyd.

Could be a float height setting as you mention no problems in the pilot range. Also, are you sure that there are NO air leaks anywhere? I don't think the 750's have the intake o-rings but it is equally important to make sure that the intake rubbers are healthy and not brittle. Also and it may sound strange but, how is the charging system on the bike? Everything check out correctly? R/R working as it should?
    With low battery level charge, as resistance builds in the coils, it can and will effect spark in the upper range of the tach. Food for thought.

Welcome to the fourm. A TRUELY GREAT place for GS preservation. Some even know what their talking about.

Basscliff will stop by at some point and throw you a roll of carpet.

Comment

Do you know what the float height should be? Yes the 750 does not have the Intake O Ring's and the Intake Rubbers are in great condition. I do not believe that I have any leaks, I have sprayed water and WD-40 on them while the bike is running and the idle does not change at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
        Do you know what the float height should be? Yes the 750 does not have the Intake O Ring's and the Intake Rubbers are in great condition. I do not believe that I have any leaks, I have sprayed water and WD-40 on them while the bike is running and the idle does not change at all.
        Not sure of the float height on the 750's. Someone here will have that info OR you could do a search and see what you can find.

Try some starting fluid instead of the WD40 and use the little straw that comes with the can. It helps to aim the fluid directly at a suspect area and IF there is a leak, the idle will jump up a bit, not down like the WD40.

Comment

Make sure you have adequate fuel flow into your carbs. Check clogged fuel filters, petcocks, etc. Do you have full flow? Check by disconnecting the line to the carbs and turning the petcock to prime. It should run out at a good rate. If it dribbles, you may have found your problem.

Comment

Are you revving it out under load?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Not sure of the float height on the 750's. Someone here will have that info OR you could do a search and see what you can find.

Try some starting fluid instead of the WD40 and use the little straw that comes with the can. It helps to aim the fluid directly at a suspect area and IF there is a leak, the idle will jump up a bit, not down like the WD40.

Im about 99% sure that I don't have an air leak.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                Make sure you have adequate fuel flow into your carbs. Check clogged fuel filters, petcocks, etc. Do you have full flow? Check by disconnecting the line to the carbs and turning the petcock to prime. It should run out at a good rate. If it dribbles, you may have found your problem.

Fuel filter and petcock are clean and flowing good.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                  Are you revving it out under load?

Right now no, it is on my lift. When revving it twice quickly it bogs down almost to and stalls unless I feather the throttle. After rebuilding everything and getting to run pretty good I took it for a ride. It has a little hesitation from a dead stop, and it is pretty good in mid range. But at full throttle it bogs and hesitates, but sometime it will pull real hard.

HELP!!!! I really want to ride!!!!

BTW my Tach does not work, so I don't know exactly at what RPM's all of this is occurring.

Comment

Did you pull the plugs on the enrichment screws and adjust those as part of the carb rebuild?

Float height is 22.4 +/-1 mm per service manual

GO here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                    and download the "GS750 (16-valve; LT, LX, EX) Service Manual (17MB)"

Thanks many time over Mr. BassCliff!

sigpic
                    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

What are you using for an intake and exhaust system?
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
                        Did you pull the plugs on the enrichment screws and adjust those as part of the carb rebuild?

Float height is 22.4 +/-1 mm per service manual

GO here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                        and download the "GS750 (16-valve; LT, LX, EX) Service Manual (17MB)"

Thanks many time over Mr. BassCliff!

No, I didn't pull the plugs for the enrichment screws... They were already pulled. Right now they are 2 1/2 turns out. Thanks for the float height, I will get that all set tomorrow. I'm sure that manual will come in handy!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          What are you using for an intake and exhaust system?

Everything is all stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                            Fuel filter and petcock are clean and flowing good.
                            Consider the possibility that the problem is not fuel related. It's the place to start for sure, but once you've eliminated all possible problems, it's time to look elsewhere.

I've seen threads where this kind of problem is related to the ignitor or coils. It may be the advance is malfunctioning. Do a search on these items and see if any are similar to your problem.

Comment

Simular problem on my 82 750T

It ended being coil leaks/wire leaks and shorting to the frame. Replaced coils and wires and problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X