WANT to increase ACC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WANT to increase ACC

So i like to zoom around everywhere i go and am not worried about top speed as long as i can keep it around 65 to 70 for highway and backroad trips to the beach a few hours away.

I would like to increase the acceleration.. I want that pull and to just be able to fly(As much as a gs650e can..lol i know it has limits..just not what they are) from where i am to what my road designated speed is.

I know a little bit about changing rear sprocket teeth to do this but not how it affects the bike.

SO if anyone would be so kind as to help me understand this process and if it will be ok for my bike as well as what # of teeth should i move to on both front and rear sprocket. They seem to be stock.. ive assumed this because they look like they came from 1982 with all the rust and wear on them.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM.

You would want to INCREASE your rear sprocket to INCREASE acceleration.

Comment

Slap a big ass Ferris wheel sprocket on the back LOL, it will accelerate

Comment

I put a 52 tooth 630 sprocket on my 750 cafe bike for a short time. I had to take it off. Stock is 42 teeth, with 52 it was burn out city, and GOD HELP YOU if you dumped the clutch youd better hang on. Topped out around 95mph tho...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          GOD HELP YOU if you dumped the clutch youd better hang on.
          52 teeth? Sounds perfect.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            52 teeth? Sounds perfect.
            Yeah, perfect for blasting through rear tires
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Go up two on the rear or one down on the front.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Down one on the front is like 3 up on the rear. It is better to go bigger on the rear than smaller on the front because the smaller bend the chain makes, the faster it will wear out. Ray.

Comment

once again thanks for the help all.. I think I'm gonna do something between 48-50 T and leave the front alone to keep the chain wear down. I might go down 1 as well in the front but ill figure that out before I get it all.

What happens to my chain size? Obviously it needs to have more links, so do i add links or is there a bigger chain I need to get when i do the sprockets

also I tried looking around the forums before I posted this but didn't find anything that really helped me in this application.

So I'm clear on this( please correct me if im wrong) from what I was reading, OEM sprockets last longer because of the metal they are made of, compared to the aluminumm vortex ones but there is less mass to be moved so in turn its easier on the bike. any suggestions of which way to go or carrier that is worth getting the sprockets from.

Again i remind you this is my daily rider as well as trip taker.( no more than 3 hour drives though on average its 2) Got to hit up the beach cuz I do live in the sunshine state.. and what better way than to ride out on a classic in the beautiful weather.. ( added bonus pretty girls tend to swoon

Comment

take a look here

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

this will let you figure out what is best for you.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Ty looking now

OK whoa.. hold up lol too much on that gearing site.. it confused the heack out of me just cuz its so cluttered

Edit: ok i played around with it some more and figured sort of what I wanted to know. They dont have my presets in there and i dont have the manual to look up the info. Im going to go up 5 on the rear sprocket from 45T to 50T. I will have more top speed than is necessary for me, it will only get me in trouble the faster I can go top speed wise. That should suffice for some extra fun on a daily rider.

If anyone has any better suggestions or info dont hesitate to let it out. I welcome experience because mine is extremely limited.

Also pls read my other post below where i have some questions that need to be answered about the chain and type of sprockets..
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X