Need a quiet exhaust for Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a quiet exhaust for Germany

I am moving to Germany compliments of the US Army, and I would like to take my 78 750. The exhaust needs to be replaced, and I would like to put a 4-1 system on it. My question is, which is the quietest, as I need to be able to be under 90db to pass the TUV inspection. I really don't want to have to find a stock set of pipes, as I really don't care for the sewing machine sound my originals made (before I butchered the baffles) Help! I would hate to have to leave my bike in the garage in Oklahoma. Thanks, John

When I was in the Military there was always all sorts of stuff being bought and sold for the sake of not having to move it. Maybe you could find an old Beemer over there.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

a mac 4 in to 1 with stock baffels is pretty quite. Might want to call and ask what DB they are rated at.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Supertrapp 4-1 with closed end cap and 12 discs. Later when you go somewhere else you can make it as loud as you want

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
          Supertrapp 4-1 with closed end cap and 12 discs.
          That would be LOUD.

You want quiet, you need to go with 2 or 3 discs.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chevytruckdude View Post
            I am moving to Germany compliments of the US Army, and I would like to take my 78 750. The exhaust needs to be replaced, and I would like to put a 4-1 system on it. My question is, which is the quietest, as I need to be able to be under 90db to pass the TUV inspection. I really don't want to have to find a stock set of pipes, as I really don't care for the sewing machine sound my originals made (before I butchered the baffles) Help! I would hate to have to leave my bike in the garage in Oklahoma. Thanks, John
            Hey John,

I don't know what USAREUR regulations are right now for bikes, it's been a while since I used to live there and a lot of things have changed since then. Are they actually making you go through the TUV, or do they just have you take the bike through an inspection at the facility on post? If you actually have to go over the full-blown TUV the same ones the germans have to go through (and that wouldn't surprise me nowadays, as the military tends to be a bit anti-bike), I would advise not taking the bike.....as much as you don't want to hear that.

The actual TUV is tough.....and for a '78 bike to pass it would be very tough. About half the cars on the road in the US would not be able to pass the German TUV standards. It used to aggravate the hell out of me when I'd fail 2 or 3 times in a row with a 10 year old vehicle because of something very minor (this was when I lived there as a civilian "after" I got out of the military and had to actually go over the german TUV, not the simplified, on-post, make-believe inspection).

They take their vehicle safety serious over there, and with very good reason.

If you look at ebay.de , you'll find many 70's and 80's bikes for sale dirt cheap. Why?....Because it's very difficult (compared to US standards) to get them to pass the TUV.
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

do yourself a favor. Let your bike stay in the States and buy another GS here. I am living in Germany and lived in the States for some time. If you really need to met German registration laws you will have more money spent for changing over your bike than you would pay for a similar one here.

If you decide to bring it to Germany, get in touch with me and I can get you a street legal exhaust for a dealer price here (I am a dealer). You need the German DOT-stamps on it anyhow to be legal, which no US pipe has.

The whole TÜV-thing is part of the Germany deal.... We are a very crowded country but we are driving pretty fast (Autobahn!). Vehicle standards need to be high to make this happening and be safe on the road at the same time.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Hallo Flo,

Viele Gruessen aus der USA! Danke fuer den Ratschlag! Die meisten Leuten hier haben wirklich keine Ahnung wenn's um den TUV geht, oder wie streng sie dort sind. Hier kann wirklich jeder jeden Schrott fahren.
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  When I was in the Military there was always all sorts of stuff being bought and sold for the sake of not having to move it. Maybe you could find an old Beemer over there.
                  Beemers and European bikes in general are as cheap as old Jap bikes in Europe.

Hell I have a very nice BMW I'm trying to sell for about £650 or so, in Scotland.
                  Want it?
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Would a Trapp even run with 4 discs ? Sure would be quiet ! From the posts below it sounds like a lost cause anyway

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011 View Post
                      Hallo Flo,

Viele Gruessen aus der USA! Danke fuer den Ratschlag! Die meisten Leuten hier haben wirklich keine Ahnung wenn's um den TUV geht, oder wie streng sie dort sind. Hier kann wirklich jeder jeden Schrott fahren.
                      translation:

Many regards from the USA! Thanks for the advice! Most people here really have no clue when it comes to the TUV goes, or how severe they are. Here you can really drive each every scrap

Comment

Hi Frenzy,

glad if I can help! Hope you had a good time in Germany. I know from my own experience how difficult it can be to adjust to a foreign country. There are just sometimes deep differences in culture where you do not expect them.

After my second reckless driving charge I am really trying my best to be stealthy in the States even if I am just there for vacation. I do not even have points in Germany...

Two examples which really catch it I think:

You are riding a custom Harley chopper with straight pipes down the highway.
                        States: You get thumps up from the men in uniform
                        Germany: You walk home because they confiscated your motor cycle(!)

You hang out with your friends at the beach. Make a camp fire, have ice cold beer, maybe smoke a joint while the girls are sunbathing topless.
                        At the baltic sea: police men wishes you a nice day.
                        States: you wake up in jail

I think you can enjoy living in a lot of places in the world, you just need to know the rules and find your way around them :-)

Greets
                        Flo

Comment

Riding over der

Oh yeah, remember Germany's extended weather forecast: Rain, drizzle & fog. Bring your rain gear because you will need it.
                          Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
                          X