another but new oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zacheriaj View Post
    Drove the bike 120 miles for the first time in years today. got her up to 75 and ran it good. She ran like a brand new bike. Ill put a video up soon. clutch is fine also btw.
    Is it fine power-shifting at red line? I love that test...
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      Is it fine power-shifting at red line? I love that test...
      See for your self how it runs!!!
      Work Done:Carbs cleanedNew intake boots and o-ringsNew ignitor, trigger plate, advance, and coils (Compliments to TheGSResources guys)Re-wired the ignition s...

Comment

See for your self how it runs!!!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weXE0nirmDE
        I stumbled across this about 2 hours ago. I knew it had to be SOMEONE here Great sounding bike!

Comment

Originally posted by UserNotFound View Post
          I stumbled across this about 2 hours ago. I knew it had to be SOMEONE here Great sounding bike!
          Well Thank you !!

Comment

But how does it shift while riding? You can damn near run it on butter milk for a period but with a wet clutch, its gonna shift like crap. Until I dumped the the oil the PO had used on the change he did, mine slipped a lot at high RPM shifts. Before you change the oil, run the recommended amount of Seafoam in the engine for about 100 to 200 miles worth of riding. This should remove a good bit of the gunk that the sealer contains. Then just use the average grade, straight weight oil your bike requires. I used Oreily's 10w40 at $12 a 5 quart jug and they had an oil filter for my bike. (yeah I was suprised too) A Fram for $3 and change. The main problem I see with the wax is the filter. Even though its got a low melting point, until it melts, its clogging everything its cooled onto. Just my pennies worth.

Comment

Did you get this running with the igniter and crank trigger plate I sent you?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Did you get this running with the igniter and crank trigger plate I sent you?
                sure did chef. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                  But how does it shift while riding? You can damn near run it on butter milk for a period but with a wet clutch, its gonna shift like crap. Until I dumped the the oil the PO had used on the change he did, mine slipped a lot at high RPM shifts. Before you change the oil, run the recommended amount of Seafoam in the engine for about 100 to 200 miles worth of riding. This should remove a good bit of the gunk that the sealer contains. Then just use the average grade, straight weight oil your bike requires. I used Oreily's 10w40 at $12 a 5 quart jug and they had an oil filter for my bike. (yeah I was suprised too) A Fram for $3 and change. The main problem I see with the wax is the filter. Even though its got a low melting point, until it melts, its clogging everything its cooled onto. Just my pennies worth.
                  Been running those Fram filters on my ES for over 10K miles now...whipping that oil like a Llama's ass. Never seen the filter so much as look funny...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Been running those Fram filters on my ES for over 10K miles now...whipping that oil like a Llama's ass. Never seen the filter so much as look funny...
                    Changed the oil today with SAE 10-40w. New filter and gasket. I cant believe how well this thing runs!

Comment

Changed the oil today with SAE 10-40w. New filter and gasket. I cant believe how well this thing runs!
                      Bulletproof..so long as you dont put snake oil in em The 550 is a very close third in "hardcore" as far as how durrable the motor is IMO only just behind the 850, and the 8V 750 motors (sorry Brian, those straight cut gears just last longer and put up with more chit.)

Comment

Working...
                      X