BS32 carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS32 carb questions

I'm sure I might have a few questions as I'm tearing these down. Everything came outta the bike easily (1982 GS550L), but the slide diaphragms are seem to be stuck pretty good around the edges. I've opened two covers, and one diaphragm I was able to get off without TOO much trouble with a small plastic wedge to free the seal, but the other I'm very afraid of damaging.

Are there any tricks to unsticking the diaphragm?

Heat with a hairdryer while pushing up gently on the slide.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Heat with a hairdryer while pushing up gently on the slide.

Well ****, the closest thing I have is a soldering iron. I'm a Engineer, not a woman

Comment

With a nitrile glove on, stick your finger in the inside of the slide and twist as you pull, and give a shot of carb cleaner on the slide (but avoid the rubber diaphragm). That carb spray is pretty mean.

Comment

Originally posted by UserNotFound View Post
          Well ****, the closest thing I have is a soldering iron. I'm a Engineer, not a woman
          LOL
          Some of us have other gender in the vicinity.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            LOL
            Some of us have other gender in the vicinity.
            Well I bought one (a hairdrier, not someone of another gender) and it helped immensly on one. The 4th is still quite stuck about 2/3rds of the way around. The entire carb is hot to the touch yet it's holding fast, and I'm afraid easier to tear when hot, too... Another careful 10 minutes and I should have it out...

Comment

Just because no thread is complete without pictures :

This part only took a phillips head and a 10mm wrench:

Gah, they're stuck! Hair drier helped, but I still felt like I was a moment away from a $25 ****up:

Mostly apart, I took the picture prematurely. Pilot needles were still in :

Back together!

I was mostly distracted while watching the new Top Gear, so it took a little while to get done. Re-assembly went in about 10 minutes once I turned off the TV.

Comment

Are your springs all the same length? The one on the far right looks longer.
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011 View Post
                  Are your springs all the same length? The one on the far right looks longer.
                  Meh...I didn't notice anything in person, but the pics do make them look all different kinds of lengths. I wasn't having and problems running up to 9,500rpm before, so if they are a bit off I think It's probably fine.

Nothing was terribly dirty at all, this was more of a "well it's gonna pour tonight and tomorrow, might as well take it apart and tune it all up from scratch" maintenance kinda thing. It did confirm though that there's some rust in the tank, which had made it into the float bowls. Not much, but enough to make me want to seal the tank when I get around to painting it.

Comment

trick of the eyes...looks the same length if you measure it on the screen with a pencil against the rest...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      trick of the eyes...looks the same length if you measure it on the screen with a pencil against the rest...
                      Aye, the "eyes" have it!
                      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
                      X