Anyone ever use Emachine shop???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use Emachine shop???

Just curious if anyone has ever used this service, seems kind of neat to design your own stuff with their software......

Im curious on the quality and price of the work....

here is a link to the site http://www.emachineshop.com/

You can download their cad software, and it prices out what you're working on, including shipping.

It's fairly pricey, since it's CNC and they have to program the machine for it, so for the first time, it's fairly expensive. I used their software to design rearset mounting plates though. using 6061 aluminum, they would have charged me $295 for 2 plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post
      You can download their cad software, and it prices out what you're working on, including shipping.

It's fairly pricey, since it's CNC and they have to program the machine for it, so for the first time, it's fairly expensive. I used their software to design rearset mounting plates though. using 6061 aluminum, they would have charged me $295 for 2 plates.
      Yikes! Do that 4 times and you can buy a very nice little mill of your own.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post

Big Ouch!

Comment

I did a bunch of years ago when I was designing and selling a grip for a line of paintball guns. They were expensive but all the measurements were deadon. You really need to have a bunch of whatever already sold are dig deep in your own pocket to get it started. I would not suggest them for prototyping parts. A good local machine shop can do that end much cheaper. These are what I was making at the time.

Thats one of the roughed in ones. the trigger is not of my making. I think for the 100 or so i made, it ended up costing me about $23 per and they sold for $125. ehhn.

Comment

autococker frame eh? I have an old STO, nothing compared to what's out there now. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
              I did a bunch of years ago when I was designing and selling a grip for a line of paintball guns. They were expensive but all the measurements were deadon. You really need to have a bunch of whatever already sold are dig deep in your own pocket to get it started. I would not suggest them for prototyping parts. A good local machine shop can do that end much cheaper. These are what I was making at the time.

Thats one of the roughed in ones. the trigger is not of my making. I think for the 100 or so i made, it ended up costing me about $23 per and they sold for $125. ehhn.
              Now there's a trigger worthy of a "good squeeze". NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                autococker frame eh? I have an old STO, nothing compared to what's out there now. lol
                No they were Viking/Excaliber frames that with an adaptor would also fit my MacDev Cyborg. The trigger came out of a Angel Fly I think of an A1. Been a few beres....I mean years ago.

Comment

not bad, used to own a viking and a cyborg. Btw, that trigger wouldn't work on an a1 ..a4 maybe (had couple of those too)... yeah, i played paintball for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by ameen View Post
                    not bad, used to own a viking and a cyborg. Btw, that trigger wouldn't work on an a1 ..a4 maybe (had couple of those too)... yeah, i played paintball for too long.
                    I played not too far from you. I played for Pev's Paintball for Outcast. Thats been years ago.

Comment

I've used it several times. I've only sent them the design one time to build the parts, but I use it a lot to design custom parts, then I print them out 1:1 and cut it myself on heavy paper. If it isn't quite right, I modify the design, then repeat until it's the way I want it. I then only have to cut once. It saves a **** load of time.

Comment

To clarify, I think it's pricey to start, depending on your design, because they'll have to program the machine. Once it's stored, I think you can get what you drew out at a cheaper cost.

Comment

I played with the software an I'm very impressed. This is really high tech DIY

Comment

It's pretty cool stuff. I've used it for about 5 years now and it's really made a difference in how I fab parts. I'm working on fitting a Ducati fairing on the GS1100 as one of the updates. Once the GS750 is out of the way I'll be back on building brackets.

The cool thing is that once you have the part in their software you can build one or 10,000 of them. One would cost $100 and 10,000 would run $5 a part (just an example).

Comment

Red,
                              What Ducati fairing you using? I'm putting a smaller headlamp fairing on my GSXR when I get to it. Will have to do some bracket fabbing or extension of the Carbon. This is a great alternative. I need to spend some time really learning the software.

What seems really cool is the direct linkage between the drawing and the machining operations. ACAD, is powerful but who knows what it will cost to produce. These instant quotes are great.

Pos
                              Last edited by posplayr; 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X