removing the stater cover from a 1981 GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing the stater cover from a 1981 GS650

I need to replace the stater cover(it has a hole and leaks oil) on my 1981 GS650, I got the screws that hold it on out and got the cover off but the wound part of the stater is attached to the cover and I need to know how to remove it. I have another bike to take the parts off of that I need. Any help is really greatly appreciated, I just want my poor old bike back out there.

There are three screws thru the stator itself when you turn it over. Dont worry, you're going to get dirty You'll need an impact driver to get em out, as generally they are in there pretty good. Once you get those out, there are two more (maybe three??) that hold little metal clamps to keep the stator wires in place. Get those out, fish the stator wires out thru the starter motor and cover, and you're on your way to getting back on the road

Comment

If your talking about what i think your talking about there should be screws that hold that in. thats the way it was on my 550. course im still a rookie at this stuff lol
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        There are three screws thru the stator itself when you turn it over. Dont worry, you're going to get dirty You'll need an impact driver to get em out, as generally they are in there pretty good. Once you get those out, there are two more (maybe three??) that hold little metal clamps to keep the stator wires in place. Get those out, fish the stator wires out thru the starter motor and cover, and you're on your way to getting back on the road

Yes, the philips-head bolts are in there pretty good.

This is partly because they were...or should have been...put in with a thread locker at time of assembly.

Loctite or a similar fluid should be used when re-assembling.
        Use only BLUE.

An impact driver is definitely recommended for removal

That said, I was 1000 miles from home the last time I did one, and used vise grips plus a screwdriver for leverage to remove the bolts and to ensure they were tight when re-installed.

If this is what you must use, remember that you have to be VERY careful that the nose of the vise grips does not ever touch the windings when you are turning the bolts as that will instantly remove the paint-thin electrical insulation.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I have gotten all the bolts out with no trouble, but the coil part is still attached to the cover ideally I would like to take the coil part off and use the one from the bike that I am fixing since that way I would not have to take the carbs off to route the wire, is that at all practical or is it better to just take them off and use the coil thing that is already on the new cover? Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

The stator will come off the cover if you have removed the bolts - it may just be a bit stubborn after countless years. Be careful you don't damage the windings when removing it though.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I used allen head bolts on mine when I reassembled it, a lot easier to deal with.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X