need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

I'm having trouble getting a 1983 gs850 to run properly. The initial complaint was that it wouldn't idle and was low on power. First, Icleaned the carbs, changed the plugs, and changed the oil. The bike ran but wanted to run on choke only. So, I sprayed some carb cleaner in the back of each carb while it was running and found 1 that was picking up the idle. Then decided to take off the carbs and clean them again. Put them back on and have a good idle but the bike will not rev up at all. It bogs down almost as soon as I twist the throttle. I am running the bike in the PRI position but not so sure I should be. What position should I run it in and how can I be sure that I'm in that position. I mean, when you turn the little handle on the petcock, does the big side point towards the lettering or the short side? Where does the small hose that is attached to the fuel tank(at the sender) go to? Is it a vent or vacuum?
    So, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Its getting hot here and theres no better time to ride. I've wasted alot of time fumbling around witht this thing and I'm ready to give up!

Search the forum for Basscliff's big welcome -- he's out of action at the moment, but there's a ton of info aimed especially at the GS850.

The petcock handle points down at almost all times -- forward is reserve, and back is prime. Don't leave it on prime. If it's at all hard to turn, or leaks, do not pass go until you buy a new petcock.

Secondly, it sounds like you need to seal your airbox and air filter. Again, search the forum or look on Basscliff's web site for instructions. It's very easy.

Thirdly, your intake boots and o-rings are probably leaking air. If these have not been replaced, replace them. They cannot be repaired reliably.

More info on intake boots and o-rings: http://bwringer.com/gs/intakeorings.html

The hose coming from the sender area is just a drain in case the sender gasket leaks. Most people don't bother replacing it when it eventually falls off. It just routes down through the frame to the ground.

Also, post your location in your profile and/or sig. There may be a friendly GS-er nearby...
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-26-2009, 07:14 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Give up ?!?! Don't do that, sounds like you're really close to getting it right.
      You say you cleaned the carbs. Did you do this to clean them ?

Here's a link to Cliff's "little site".
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yep, I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are going to have to clean the carbs, but this time, do it right.
        Just popping off the bowls and spritzing some cleaner at what you can see just won't do it.
        Follow the link that Larry gave you for the correct way to clean the carbs.
        By the way, be prepared for the process to take 4 or 5 days.

Even when carbs are properly cleaned and tuned, they will not run above an idle if the air filter box is not installed and sealed properly.
        There needs to be a certain amount of restriction ahead of the carbs for them to work right.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure that the air box is installed correctly(or there at all, mine was not) if you have one of the boots not properly on it will make it not rev. Don't give up, trust me when I first got mine and had replaced most of the electrical components and it still did not run right and randomly died for seemingly no reason, I was ready to take it out back and shoot it. With just a little more work its been a great bike with nothing but routine maintenance for the last 2 years.

Comment

Working...
          X