Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Stator & R/R install

Hi guys,

I'm midway through installing my new stator and R/R unit from electrex and I have some questions:

Rather than the 3 stator wires going directly to the R/R, one wire from each end goes "somewhere else", likely to the headlight switch my bike has. Is there anything I can do to test this length of wire? Since my bikes runs fine (just doesn't charge), should I just hook up these wires as they were and not worry about it?

My current R/R is ground to itself(!). Is this normal? This seems like a bad idea... Although the grounding wire isn't very long I think there's a bolt to the frame near the battery that I can get it to.

I'm just a little paranoid since these are expensive parts and I don't want to blow anything.

Thanks

-Warren

Don't know what bike you have, but some have one Stator wire running to the headlight, while others have one wire run up into the harness, bend itself, then run back to the R/R, and others run all three directly to the R/R.

Having the R/R grounded to the frame is normal. That said, you, and your bike, are far better off if you run a ground wire directly to the battery, as well as keeping the body/frame ground.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sorry the bike is a 1980 GS750L.. nice detail to miss According to my electrical diagram it does run to the headlight switch.

Thanks for the advice. I might try to extend the ground from the frame to the battery in that case.

-W

Comment

Standard Suzuki practice seems to have been to have one stator circuit switched on when the headlingts are turned on. The power for this circuit goes all the way up to the switchblock, through that useless little contact on the switch, then back to the rectifier. I bypassed that years ago (as in early 80s) with a relay that makes as short a path as possible from the stator to the rectifier.

The earth follows standard Suzuki practice. The metal support on which the rectifier/regulaor is attached is earthed. A better bet is to also put in a direct ground wire to the battery...more consistent results. May solve future problems that do not now exist.

My stator is probbaly not in the best condition due to age. I rewound it back in the 80s, and it is stil struggling along..not as much spare capacity as it used to have!!

Comment

Is the headlight connection really going to cause me problems?

I was under the assumption that the electrex stuff was a cut above Suzuki OEM parts, and as long as I made sure the connections were solid and the grounding was good, I'd be in good shape.

Finally got some time to work on the bike today... can't wait to get riding again.

Thanks.

-Warren

Comment

Working...
          X