GS1100E Main jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Main jets?

In the process of cleaning my carbs on my gs1100E I found that it has what seems to me to be the wrong main jets.

It has 122.5 main jets but my haynes manual calls for 107.5's. The rest of the parts such as the pilot seem to jive as it has the recomended 45 pilot jets. Just got the bike in not running condition and I'm trying to get it sorted out. It sat for quite a while till the owner before the guy I bought if from tried to fix it up. He put new carb kits in it but these main jets don't look to be brand new. It is all stock right down to the air box and exhaust and I'm suspecting that it does not have any engine mods done to it.

I do live in Colorado Springs, CO at about 5,000ft and may ride ocasionally neer 8,000 to 10,000ft. This seems to be the only conditoin I'll need to account for but when I moved here with my 850 it actually helped richen it up just enough with an all stock set up.

Any thoughts from someone who has re-jetted 1100e's would be a big relief. Thanks, Chris.

Originally posted by cdnoel View Post
    In the process of cleaning my carbs on my gs1100E I found that it has what seems to me to be the wrong main jets.

It has 122.5 main jets but my haynes manual calls for 107.5's. The rest of the parts such as the pilot seem to jive as it has the recomended 45 pilot jets. Just got the bike in not running condition and I'm trying to get it sorted out. It sat for quite a while till the owner before the guy I bought if from tried to fix it up. He put new carb kits in it but these main jets don't look to be brand new. It is all stock right down to the air box and exhaust and I'm suspecting that it does not have any engine mods done to it.

I do live in Colorado Springs, CO at about 5,000ft and may ride ocasionally neer 8,000 to 10,000ft. This seems to be the only conditoin I'll need to account for but when I moved here with my 850 it actually helped richen it up just enough with an all stock set up.

Any thoughts from someone who has re-jetted 1100e's would be a big relief. Thanks, Chris.
    Those are probably about the right size jets for a bike with a pipe and pods....
    Not sure what's up in your case.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If anything it should be leaner at higher elevations bone stock, my 80 GS1100 has 114s @3700 ft with a K&N filter, modified air box & 4-1 pipe
      Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: prior post asked question before I posted

Comment

change EVERYTHING!!

your bike's carb tuning details are all wrong. The previous owner was clearly a retard.

the info you gave is a contradiction to combustion physics.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
          change EVERYTHING!!

your bike's carb tuning details are all wrong. The previous owner was clearly a retard.

the info you gave is a contradiction to combustion physics.

???

Mains are too big, the rest is correct?

NEEDLE, JET (5D58)

JET, PILOT (45)
          JET, NEEDLE (X-1)

JET, MAIN (107.5)

Comment

Seems a little large with stock exaust & airbox, but I'm not at 5000 to 8000 elevation. What, 114 mains??? I thought they went in 2.5 incruments. 107.5, 110, 112.5, 115, 117.5, etc
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

114 is a Dynojet size.

Comment

So smaller jets?

I'm gathering that I should try 107.5's and save these jets to try when I get a pipe and pods for it?

Could have had this done to it at one point. Maybee some one slapped the old pipe and air box on it to sell it.

If 110's or 112.5's would be a better place to start let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Best I can read them they say 114. I think it has a Dynojet kit in it, it was like that when I got it and it really runs good. It could be 115 with my eyes

Comment

For those of us of a "certain" age

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

There's not a huge amount of difference in one size. These bikes were on the lean side from the factory, due to smog rules. If I were you, in your location, I'd try the 112.5's. If they make it a tiny bit rich, remove the lid from the airbox as advised by V&H back in the day. Just my opinion
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I saw one of those magnifying lights last time I was there. I think its time to go back and buy one. Wish they came in a bigger size

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                          I saw one of those magnifying lights last time I was there. I think its time to go back and buy one. Wish they came in a bigger size
                          Oh yeah man, those things are great for seeing tiny parts. We had a couple mounted to the work bench that looked something like this in the electronics repair shop that I worked in. Not sure if this is the exact one, but it looks close.

http://www.amazon.com/Grandrich-ML-245-WHT-Fluorescent-Magnifier/dp/B0000225B8/ref=pd_sbs_k_5

You can get them in different magnification sizes. And with the light, you could shave a gnat with a straight razor and never nick the little fellow using one of those things.

Comment

Working...
                          X