and suddenly...no juice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and suddenly...no juice!

I have a 79 gs750 with 42k. Recently gone through the electrical panel to identify and clean a contact that was causing trouble.
    So I go out on a beautiful morning on the Palouse and during hard acceleration in 3rd at about 5k rpms...I lose all power. Turn throttle - nothing lights go out and eventually I stop. There was absolutely no electricity anywhere to anything no horn light panel etc. All dead. I turn the key to off position and then immediately to on - everything works again.
    It's a little scary to run on a bike that can die without warning like that so I'll park it until I solve this.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated...
    Pete

This has happened to me on my 1100ES, only imagine being layed way over in a turn at a pretty good clip and have it go stone cold dead on you! Its the main power feed wire to the fuse block. After years and years, and after living with a poor charging system that tends to get the wiring pretty hot when not functioning correctly, the connector melts around the pin to this wire, and suddenly, POOF, its dead as a doornail... Epoxy Plastic weld is what i used to fix it, worked like a charm..

Comment

Id go through that fuse box again. Check all the connections again and get new fuses if you didnt the first time. Check the battery + & - connections too.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Turning the key off and on again is a clue, probably a dirty ignition switch. A little contact cleaner sprayed in there might be needed.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X