Carbs done valves set and hopes are high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs done valves set and hopes are high

FINALLY got my carbs done, went with 110 mains, floats set at 26mm. Starting with idle jets at 1 1/2 turns out and air at 1turn out. Intake #1 was >.025 with a 2.70 shim. A local (45 Miles away) dealer just happened to have a 2.65 shim -sweet! couldn't do the shell game with the others so I got REAL lucky, because I'm getting pretty heated about getting her running like a week ago. Got a clean tank form TheCafeKid so I hope to get the fire started tomorrow.

Always good to hear about another 750L being saved.1
    Good Luck!!

Terry E
    White Bear Lake, MN
    79 GS750 L---waiting on a title and license but running great

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
      FINALLY got my carbs done, went with 110 mains, floats set at 26mm. Starting with idle jets at 1 1/2 turns out and air at 1turn out. Intake #1 was >.025 with a 2.70 shim. A local (45 Miles away) dealer just happened to have a 2.65 shim -sweet! couldn't do the shell game with the others so I got REAL lucky, because I'm getting pretty heated about getting her running like a week ago. Got a clean tank form TheCafeKid so I hope to get the fire started tomorrow.
      What is an "idle jet"? If you are talking about the pilot fuel screw, it should be set to 3/4 - 1 turn. The pilot air screw should be set to about 1.5.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yah, you got em back-ards.... You'll end up rich with that scheme, and it may choke it into not starting at all..

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
          Looking at your sig line (thanks for having one, by the way ), I see that you have a header and a K&N insert. The 110 might not quite be enough, but plug chops will tell for sure, after you get the rest of it sorted out.

Just wondering why you did not go with what are the generally-accepted standard settings for the mixture adjustments. The pilot fuel screw (the one on the bottom) should be 5/8 to 3/4 turn out. As a starting point, the air screw (the one on the side) should be double that, or 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out. With the pipe on there, I would probably start with the fuel screw closer to 3/4 and the air screw about 1 1/2.

Just in case you did not see anything in your manual, here are two clippings from the carb 'sticky', which is the very first post in the Tech Forum:

Originally posted by ptm View Post
          1978 GS750E

Specs in mm.
          Carb Type- Mikuni VM26SS
          Bore Size- 26
          ID# - 45030
          Idle r/min - 1050 +/- 50
          Fuel Level - 2.5-3.5
          Float Height - 25-27 mm
          Main Jet - #100
          Main Air Jet - 0.7
          Jet Needle - 5F21-3
          Needle Jet - O-6
          Pilot Jet - #15
          Bypass -
          Pilot Outlet -
          Valve Seat -
          Starter Jet -
          Pilot Screw -
          Pilot air jet - 1.6
          Throttle Cable Play - 0.5-1.0

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
          I found this in my service manual.
          It is for GS750 1976-1979 ,GS550 1977 - 1982

Check the Engine no. ,not frame no. Look for the differences on the same model!!!

I hope it will help
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I started there because that's about where they were when I dissambled them, but I shall heed the advice. I didn't go too big on the mains, but I have allens on my bowl now foreseeing just such a change

Comment

Working...
            X