Float Height - GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Height - GS650G

Hello all. After rebuilding the varbs on my 81 GS650G, they all now leak from the float bowls! New gaskets, etc. They're NOT leaking from the overflow tubes, I can see the gas "bubbling" out of the seam between the float bowl and the float cover. Could this be that the floats aren't shutting off at the proper time? Or loose gaskets, even though they're new?

I didn't adjust the floats during rebuild. I'd hate to add some gasket sealer only to find out the floats need to be adjusted. How / where do you measure the floats, and what height above rim of bowl do they need to be? Carb upside down (with float pointing up)?

How do you set the new height, by bending that little tab that hits the flow needle?

Thnkas for all your help, these carbs have been driving me crazy.

Everytime I fix something, something else comes up. I used locktite to hold the mixture screw in place that was closing itself while riding.

bump! Anybody?

Comment

First question got to be are they new gaskets from a rebuild kit or did you cut them out.?/

Float height is measured from the inside lip of the carb body to the top fo the Round, part of the float to 22.4mm +- 1mm (.88 +-.04in)
      Bent the tang to adjust.

Thats it.
      Stimpy

Comment

Thnaks stimpy, the gaskets, jets, etc. are from a carb kit. I didn't set the floats upon installing the new seats and needles, so I'm wondering if they might be riding high and flowing out. I bought some gasket sealant, and will use that on the gaskets after I adjust the floats.

I appreciate your help!

Comment

PLEASE,dont use any gasket sealent. it will give your problems later and any leaks into the bowls... you can guess what will happen.
          If you dont crank on the gaskets, i've got a number of on and offs without replacing, or cut new ones but dont seal them.
          Bob (stimpy)

Comment

Float Height

Let us know what happened with gas coming out of the fuel bowl gaskets.
            Sounded like needle and seats aren't closing tight.

Comment

You can try putting a little motor oil on the gaskets to help them expand a little and seal better when you reassemble the carb.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the oil.

I adjusted all the floats, but apparently didn't get carb #2 (from the right) set right. It's still dripping some gas from around the float gasket.

The others are good now though.

This will be the 7th time to remove and farkle with these carbs. Agh!

Hopefully I can get it working, so I can finally get this bike inspected. Everything else is golden. Rebuilt brakes, tires good, lights and signals work. But I think the inspector would take offense to a bike that leaks gas, don't you?

Comment

Working...
                X