Oil Filter Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Cover

My GS1100GLD has a oil filter cover with what appears to be a place that can be drilled and tapped for a fitting. Does anyone know what this was intended for? I am toying with the idea of an oil cooler and a pressure gauge. Can anyone direct me to the proper test point for a pressure gauge

The temperature here (SE Indiana) has been in the lower 90's lately. I probably don't need to tell you how that feels in stopped traffic. The motor must feel it too.

One at a time...

Comment

I think renobruce sells pressure gauges that tap into the oil gallery. The gauge fitting replaces the plug just above and slightly aft of the ignition cover.

The gauge also comes with a warning that the roller bearing engines use little to no oil pressure, so don't panic when the needle drops to near zero. Perfectly normal. These engines just sort of pump oil around with few restrictions, and they only need enough pressure to push oil up to the cylinder head -- they don't have to force oil into crank bearings or anything.

As far as an oil cooler, it's not necessary unless you're endurance racing.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        I think renobruce sells pressure gauges that tap into the oil gallery. The gauge fitting replaces the plug just above and slightly aft of the ignition cover.

The gauge also comes with a warning that the roller bearing engines use little to no oil pressure, so don't panic when the needle drops to near zero. Perfectly normal. These engines just sort of pump oil around with few restrictions, and they only need enough pressure to push oil up to the cylinder head -- they don't have to force oil into crank bearings or anything.

As far as an oil cooler, it's not necessary unless you're endurance racing.
        Thanks. Great information. Do you have any idea what the spot on the oil filter cover is for?

Comment

Some models have a drain bolt in the "hole" that you refer to. My Katana 650 is one of them but my GS1000G doesn't.
          GS1000G

Comment

Working...
          X