Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap

I am looking to put a 1980 GS400L (electric start) engine (an 8 valve model) into a 1978 GS400(E? kick & electric) model frame (4 valve model). The mounting points look pretty similar, although I haven't had them side by side. Does anyone know if this will work with little or no modification?
    This obviously isn't for a performance boost, it's just that the engine in the 78 doesn't work and the other engine is available

I can't tell you for sure what the answer to your question is, Cowboy Don; however, you must answer these questions:

Is your last name "Meredith"?

Did you ever work in Dallas, Texas?

How did you ever put up with Howard?

Just couldn't resist. Betcha I'm not the only knucklehead in this forum who thought about this.

Now, will someone please answer Cowboy Don's question, seriously?

Smartass Nick

Comment

Wuh?

Ok, so I'm lost now.

Comment

Correction

The frame I would like to use is from a 1978 GS400 "C" model, not "E".
        Thanks, hope someone can help.

Comment

Yet another correction!

Ok, I got it straight now, I swear!

I would like to put a 1979 GS400L engine (e-start, 8-valve) into the frame of a 1978 GS400C (kick & e-start, 4-valve).
          Is this a straight swap? Mounting points look similar but I have had them side by side.
          Again, this isn't for performance reasons, it's just that the 79 engine works and the 78 doesn't.

Comment

it should fit, you may have to adapt the exhaust from the 79 due to possible differences in the head.
            the crankcases have basically remained the same all the way up to and including the current GS500 twin.

Comment

Engine Swap

Thanks Focus!

A point to consider, the L model is sorta the cruiser model. I don't know if there are any frame differences there. Anybody know?

Comment

I think the only frame differences occur above and behind the motor - I have both the flat G and the cruiser L models and the frames are identical except for the seat area and the main frame support under the gas tank. You should be able to perform the swap with a little coaxing!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                X