Two fork springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two fork springs?

I just disassembled my front forks, and instead of a spacer and a long spring, there are two springs; long one and a short one.

This is on a 78 750C. The springs were seperated by a washer.

Is this the "normal" fork set up on this bike?

Rick

yes im pretty sure that was a progressive rate spring before they had such a thing, my shop manual for my bike says the old ones had that

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
      I just disassembled my front forks, and instead of a spacer and a long spring, there are two springs; long one and a short one.

This is on a 78 750C. The springs were seperated by a washer.

Is this the "normal" fork set up on this bike?

Rick
      Was in my 1982 forks I have on my chop build. The replacement Progressives were a one one piece.

Comment

Thanks guys!

The other oddity is that there is no hex shape on the end part of the forks (you know, put a 19mm od bolt on a 24 inch piece of rod, slide it in the fork tube).

I kept trying to catch something with the rod and bolt and it didn't seem to work. But I just unscrewed the bottom hex bolt and it still came right off. The end of that short piece has a circular hole at the end and not a hex shape.

Comment

Yep, some of those early springs were merely dual-rate, not truly progressive.

Amost as good at the time, but they are still just as worn out now.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Yep, some of those early springs were merely dual-rate, not truly progressive.

Amost as good at the time, but they are still just as worn out now.

So are you saying I should replace them?

Here are some pics.

Comment

Here's a pic of the end piece that is round and not hex shaped.

Comment

Replacing them would be your call, but I think you would notice the improvement.

A LOT of change will also be noted by simply changing the fork oil and putting in the proper quantity of the proper weight oil,
                but there's nothing like having the proper spring rate, too.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Replacing them would be your call, but I think you would notice the improvement.

A LOT of change will also be noted by simply changing the fork oil and putting in the proper quantity of the proper weight oil,
                  but there's nothing like having the proper spring rate, too.

Yes; good thing I didn't ride it much (I am riding my 79); there was almost NO fork oil in it !

Comment

I did a set of 550E forks EXACTLY like that. (Hex came straight out on those too!).

I took out the small spring & replaced it with a solid spacer the same length (it was about 4" from memory).

Instant upgrade! Forks felt like the ones on my 1000's (with progressive upgraded springs in them).

I would suggest trying it!

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      I did a set of 550E forks EXACTLY like that. (Hex came straight out on those too!).

I took out the small spring & replaced it with a solid spacer the same length (it was about 4" from memory).

Instant upgrade! Forks felt like the ones on my 1000's (with progressive upgraded springs in them).

I would suggest trying it!

Dan
                      Dan, what did you use for the spacer?

Rick

Comment

PVC pipe. If the front end is too stiff after you ditch the smaller spring, you can cut the smaller sping in half and only replace a portion of if with the spacer. The idea is to experiment until you find the stiffness you want.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As Ed says thick wall PVC pipe is best as it's easy to cut etc but actually on that one we used some galvanised steel plumbing pipe because Ed's neighbour just happened to have a couple of pieces the right dia & length (those fittings you get at OSH or wherever with a thread on each end already at 4" lengths). No cutting or finishing required. Worked great. We didn't have any PVC the right Dia.

Ed lives pretty close to me so often gets roped into my projects!!

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X