Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you put a wider tire on a stock rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you put a wider tire on a stock rim?

on my 1982 gs550 katana, its got a pretty small tire on the back. same size as the front one. Can i put a fairly wider one on the same rim? Not crotch rocket wide but alot wider than the front lol. How wide can i go do you think. give me some numbers so i can do some shopping.
    Thanks!!

No, you give us some numbers.

What size rim do you have on there? The size that really matters is the width, not the diameter.

Without knowing what you have, I will say that most of our GS bikes use either a 90 or 100 width front tire, and somewhere between a 110 and a 130 on the rear. Those are good sizes for the rims that came on the bikes. Putting on a wider tire than the rim can properly support is an exercise in futility, as the tire gets pinched in to the narrow rim and actually reduces your contact patch. This means that a narrower tire might actually get more rubber on the road than a wider one.

Last edited by Steve; 06-29-2009, 12:30 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A 100 front and 120 rear are about the widest "approved" sizes based on what the tire manufacturers typically say for bikes with wheels of the width of those on your 550M.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Use the stock tire sizes. If you go wider you'll change the profile and the bike will feel as if it wants to fall into corners. It's not a confidence inspiring ride.

Comment

A tire chart for ya. If it were me, put stock on stock or modify if you want/need something bigger.

Home Page for Steel Thunder Custom Cycles, aftermarket motorcycle parts and vehicle bill of sale forms.

Comment

Aside from rim width you also have to consider clearance issues with your chain and swingarm. usually that is the limiting factor.

Comment

My bike has a 17 rim on the rear, and I picked up a nice 18 wheel assembly. Any major handling issues? I need new rubber on both, so I'm leaning on the 18

Comment

and they are both 120/90s. could I run a 130/70?

Comment

You might get by with the 130/90 on the rear, but that 120 on the front will have to go.

Most of the bikes came with a 90 or 100 on the front, some guys have tried 110s with mixed results,
                  but I have not heard any success stories about a 120 on the front.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X