stubborn rectifier screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stubborn rectifier screws

been trying to learn a few things by reading the posts - tons of great stuff!was hoping to get ideas on how to remove stubborn screws from rectifier on my gs650G. she's always been kept in and the bikes overall condition is good. Screws don't look rusty, just very stubborn and I don't want to strip them- -my buddy told me I should heat it up w/ a torch. Too scary for me to try -so close to fuel tank- sprayed wd40 liberally a few times, set screwdriver tip into head and tapped w/ small hammer all to no avail ...any help gladly appreciated -thanks in advance,don

If its not striped.

If its not already striped you can get them out with a Ph #3.

Last nite I used a ph #3 in a 1/4 socket. My screws are not striped and the #3 held on hard. I was able to turn them out with a socket wrench with no sliping. It worked just as well for the re-instal. If its already striped, your probably going to have to pull the battery box out and turn it over to work on it.

Comment

thank for responding-I'll try the #3 phl- last night I laid a moving blanket out on the grass and layed the bike over(softly of course) to get better leverage-should be ok like that, right? Thanks again-don

Comment

If nothing else instead of tapping with the hammer, give it a good firm strike. This may unseat the screw.

Comment

If you can't afford an impact driver you can use a c-clamp to hold the ratchet in place while you turn it.

Steve

Comment

An impact driver will likely work, but you may have to pull off the batter box to get the distance needed to use the tool.

Other than that.....
            Dare I suggest it?

When all else fails......vice grips.

Even if the olds bolts come out in good shape, toss them and replace them with new, hex- or allen- head bolts.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Easy outs seem to work the best. You know, it's weird but I've had nothing but similar problems bringing my GS1000G back to life. Did they use cheap-o-deluxe screws in those days? What would be a good replacement screw? Stainless steel like what we use on out boats?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmoe
                Easy outs seem to work the best. You know, it's weird but I've had nothing but similar problems bringing my GS1000G back to life. Did they use cheap-o-deluxe screws in those days? What would be a good replacement screw? Stainless steel like what we use on out boats?
                Use allen head bolts. It's not necessary to go to stainless, but you can if you want. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Had to use the needle nosed vice-grips,but...out with the old, in with the new- just got back from a cool ride with my buddy just now...love my litttle 650! Worth the effort (which is minimal). Thanks again for the help, Don

Comment

I was always told since my old Yamaha days that Japanese steel was soft. I have never failed to strip the threads of phillips head screws on jap bikes. I replaced them each time with Stainless or black steel allen heads whenever one goes. Then the problem doesn't get repeated.

Comment

Working...
                    X