No announcement yet.

What is this lug on rear brake for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STEVE those shoes could do with a polish.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      I should drop the bike off for the weekend and keep you busy.
      Let me know before you drop by, I'm still out of state.
      In fact, I wasn't too far from you just after Memorial Day.
      If the present work schedule keeps up, I will only be home for two weekends out of the 14 from Memorial Day to the end of August.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      What about this weekend Steve.

BTW STEVE do you want to run us through your procedure from start to finish to get the great shine that you are able to obtain. Tell us what tools are used to get it like that, polisher, drill, whatever and types of polish used and in what order.
      Don, if YOU show up this weekend, I will have to change my plans for a family get-together in South Carolina, and that is "on my way" from Mississippi to oHIo.
      Funny, it was only a 740 mile ride down here, but it's going to be between 1100 and 1200 miles to get home. All depends on the weather and which way my wife wants to go. She is driving down with an aunt and riding home with me.

I would have to clean up the garage a bit to do a short video, and that's a possibility, but not until September or so. I just won't be home long enough until then.

The polishing process in a nutshell: Craftsman bench grinder mounted on a 4x4 that is stuck in a 5-gallon bucket filled with concrete. Provides a sturdy-enough base, but it's still portable, if necessary. 8" stitched fabric wheel from Harbor Freight. I get my polishing compound at Lowe's, but Home Depot and Harbor Freight have the same stuff. I use the white compound designed for heavier work on soft metals. If there is a clear coat, use chemical stripper or sandpaper to get it off. Apply the compound to the spinning buffer wheel, press the part to be polished to the wheel, but keep it moving. If you stay in one spot, you will gouge the aluminum. Work a few different angles to even out the shine, repeat as necessary. Takes about 5 minutes to do a carb top, between 5 and 10 to do a float bowl.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      STEVE those shoes could do with a polish.
      I think I was wearing my sneakers that day. They don't polish very well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

STEVE what do you think of sisal polishing buffs. I have read where some people like them and others don't. What is the difference between them and the sewn material buffs.

Do you only use the white compound and nothing else. I buffed my backing plate with the brown compound and then used a product we get here in Australia called Goddard's Glow. It works a treat but is quite fine, a bit like toothpaste consistency and in a similar container. It is good to give that final polish on alloy.

I will have to find an old single phase motor from somewhere and make up a polishing rig to get better results.

Comment

Working...
        X