1978 gs750 chain issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs750 chain issue

well i just got most of this project back together and it seems as if the chain is not seating on the back sprocket well at all just along the top of the teeth i have loosened it tightened it and still the same. any ideas or questions for me i appreciate it.
    Jesse

sounds like you may have an incompatible sprocket... I would take some measurements on the chain and sprocket and make sure they are made for each other.

Comment

Are the chain and sprocket new?

If not, that is another reason they might not be compatible.

A sprocket that is deeply worn, and a new chain can also show those signs.
      (So can a new sprocket and a worn chain.)

Unless they are both new or have been run together, you will wear out both of them rather quickly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You positive they are the SAME type of sprocket?? Ive seen someone use (accidentally) a 530 front and a 630 rear...Will KINDA work, but not really. If they're older stuff, i would just buy a new 530 conversion kit from Z1 and be sure I had what i needed. Cost about 140 bucks for a new chain, sprockets, and the spacer and master link...Also, BE SURE that you have your rear wheel spacers in correctly. I made a mistake in their order once, and it ruined a sprocket and made for some squirly handling untill id figured out what i had stupidly done...DOH!

Comment

the rear sprocket is a 41 tooth 630 and i looked it up and gs750 comes with a 41 tooth so is that wrong thanks for the opinions so far
          i got the bike in peices so im managing to get it together but i hope there is a easy fix it only cost me 200$ for the bike and i rewired it all up and painted it and now rebuilt carbs and just want to see if she will ride

Jesse

Comment

Working...
          X