I need help with my '81 GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with my '81 GS450L

So basically I just bought this 81 GS450L off some guy who posted it in the newspaper. Now the problem is while I knew that it was a project bike and was in a million pieces, this is my first bike rebuild and I have no idea where to start. I've sanded and painted all the parts that needed it and thanks to the excellent resources here I've managed to get the carbs cleaned up pretty good. So i guess my question is what do I do now? I have never had a motorcycle this far apart before and while the engine is still together everything is stripped off the frame. Looking back now it was kinda silly to buy a bike in pieces because now I can't even reverse the steps that I took to take it apart. So if anyone has a great how to on here it would be nice to get a link to!

Originally posted by phillipjohnw View Post
    So basically I just bought this 81 GS450L off some guy who posted it in the newspaper. Now the problem is while I knew that it was a project bike and was in a million pieces, this is my first bike rebuild and I have no idea where to start. I've sanded and painted all the parts that needed it and thanks to the excellent resources here I've managed to get the carbs cleaned up pretty good. So i guess my question is what do I do now? I have never had a motorcycle this far apart before and while the engine is still together everything is stripped off the frame. Looking back now it was kinda silly to buy a bike in pieces because now I can't even reverse the steps that I took to take it apart. So if anyone has a great how to on here it would be nice to get a link to!

How YU Do'n...

Welcome to the best little site on the net!

Been there, Done that! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

START at the bottom and work your way up.
    Wheels: ready to go?
    Brakes: new pads fluid and or rebuild?
    Chain/Shaft: where we at with that.
    Fork seals/rear struts: what's leaking.
    Engine/carbs: Sounds like you've been there.
    Cables: all lubed and ready for use or better yet...replaced?

That's just a few of the mechanicals.

ELECTRIC FUN: pack a lunch and an ohm meter!!!

BassCliff will be a GOD SEND (literally) to you. Play it Cliff!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      START at the bottom and work your way up.
      Wheels: ready to go?
      Brakes: new pads fluid and or rebuild?
      Chain/Shaft: where we at with that.
      Fork seals/rear struts: what's leaking.
      Engine/carbs: Sounds like you've been there.
      Cables: all lubed and ready for use or better yet...replaced?

That's just a few of the mechanicals.

ELECTRIC FUN: pack a lunch and an ohm meter!!!

BassCliff will be a GOD SEND (literally) to you. Play it Cliff!
      Um, Could you be a little more specific, this is my first build and I only know what about half of the stuff you said means.

the front forks are all in one piece
      the engine is in one piece
      I've got a little more work on the carbs still but nothing major thanks to one of the many guides on this site

other than that i have a couple boxes full of parts and the frame. I have no idea what to put where and when. Up until this summer i just rode bikes and left the repairs to a mechanic, but ive always wanted to rebuild one so im going to do it even if it takes a couple years.

Comment

In that case, start with a manual. Check here:

A member here and a GREAT guy, though we've never met!

Several places for parts and links for them are everywhere.

Search is your friend.

I use these guys for the parts diagram.
        Last edited by Dave8338; 06-29-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

What part of the world are you from? Maybe someone can give some in person help.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I live in edinboro, pennsylvania. it would be great if i had someone to help out although i doubt anyone here lives near edinboro, its a pretty small town

Comment

how about pics.

take a few pics. so we can see how far apart it is.
              I am from PA but it couldn't be father away.
              Reading PA.

Comment

Well, you're about two hours north of me but I can always try to help via phone or by sending a few pics.

PM me if you get into a jam.
                1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

+1 get a manual. Another great resource is going to be the parts fisches, available online at www.partshark.com (among other places). How's your tool collection? You should have all sizes of metric sockets from 7mm up to at least 19mm. There may be some oddball needs for larger sizes as well (axle nut, for example). Got a multimeter? I'm afraid my personal experience with the twins is nonexistent, though I just went through the almost total rebuild on my 550. If you're committed, you'll get through it. Remember - eat that elephant one bite at a time!

What's your focus here? Get it back running with as little expense as possible? Try to get it like showroom new at any expense? Seems like you really need some strategy advice versus specifics here. The specifics will come after you lay out your plan of attack. Were I you, the first thing I would do is make a decision about the motor assembly. I assume you got the motor as one big assembled piece from the PO. So, do you trust it to be in good working order, or do you tear it down and take measurements? I'd probably go with the "trust but verify" strategy, which means getting the motor into the bike, running a compression test, and then perhaps getting it running. If the motor is no good, you might rethink your project or at least seek another power plant. The major steps would be to:
                  1. Do a valve adjustment. Great time to do it with the motor out.
                  2. Physical motor inspection. Any oil leaks?
                  3. Get the fork back on. Check out as much as you can. Replace wheel bearings, replace or at least re-pack the steering stem bearings.
                  4. Install the center stand. (Do the twins have one?)
                  5. Mount the motor.
                  6. Install carbs and airbox. (throttle too)
                  7. Get enough electronics in there to crank over the starter.

Now you can run a cold compression test. It's not ideal but at least you'll have some idea what's up. From there it's not far to hook up coils, hang the exhaust, change the oil, and try to fire her up.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I'm so glad i found this site. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to get them uploaded on this thread. That might take a while because the downside of living in the middle of the country is slow internet. Everything takes a little longer with dial-up.

Quick question before I hit the sack, Which manual would be the best? I did a little searching at the library and bookstore and there are quite a few. Which would be the most comprehensive, or which do you prefer personally?

Comment

Originally posted by phillipjohnw View Post
                      Thanks everyone,

I'm so glad i found this site. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to get them uploaded on this thread. That might take a while because the downside of living in the middle of the country is slow internet. Everything takes a little longer with dial-up.

Quick question before I hit the sack, Which manual would be the best? I did a little searching at the library and bookstore and there are quite a few. Which would be the most comprehensive, or which do you prefer personally?
                      My favorite is the Clymer...BUT get the Clymer, the Haynes, and the Factory manual (all on Ebay). Each one has something the other doesn't.
                      1981 GS 450L

Comment

I feel like I need to thank everyone again. I got my hands on an old haynes manual and its helped a ton even though more than a few pages are faded horribly. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon for you all to enjoy.

Comment

well after some guess work, elbow grease, and plenty of trial and error i have the bike close to assembled, i think. I just have to get the engine mounted, waiting for help cause i dont have enough arms to do it myself, install the airbox and carbs, and of course all the electrical. I feel the need to thank everyone again you have been amazing with a stupid n00b like me.

Comment

Hey yall sorry its been a while, ive been busy with work and what not. Here are some pics for you to enjoy.

this is what i started with

Comment

this is after i painted and reassembled the frame

Comment

Working...
                              X