Engine Brake-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
    I have heard this from a few people. The slight increases in max RPM as you get more miles on the bike is so the newb can slowly learn to ride. If you know what your doing already, happily thrash away, the bike can take it.
    Although I don't know that the really high RPMs early on are helpful, I DO know that getting the engine into it's "happy range" and letting it run is.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Do any of you know how RACE engines are broken in? On the race track at HIGH rpm! My motors get heat cycled 3 times & then the head re-torqued. After that, & new oil, they are off to the race track & a lot of rpm! Ring seal is done, engines run good! The motor in my dragbike right now went together in Feb. of 04 & hasn't been apart at all. Still LESS than 2% leakdown straight across! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Do any of you know how RACE engines are broken in? On the race track at HIGH rpm! My motors get heat cycled 3 times & then the head re-torqued. After that, & new oil, they are off to the race track & a lot of rpm! Ring seal is done, engines run good! The motor in my dragbike right now went together in Feb. of 04 & hasn't been apart at all. Still LESS than 2% leakdown straight across! Ray.
        That's impressive for a race engine Ray. Many would need refreshing after 3 seasons. I guess that you've done all the mods you've planned for that setup!

I usually give a few more heat cycles than 3 on a road engine, but I guess the amount of heat build up is the key. If ambient air temps are lower and the redline isn't breached to often, the number of cycles can be increased before re-torquing. It's all about risk management though, isn't it?

That first oil change is really important too.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. I have been working on it for a while trying to get it ready for the street. I didn't want to go out and do something stupid and undo all that prep work. Looks like I have a couple more issues to sort out. One sticky float and a bad fuel petcock. I was actually aiming for the week end of the 4th but it's not looking like it will happen.

Comment

Working...
          X