80 gs550e dyna coil issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs550e dyna coil issues

I have a 1980 gs550e I have spark on #2 and #3 and #4 I have no spark from #1. I have switch crank trigger (generator) wires, plug wires, plugs still no spark from that one hole on coil.
    dyna 2000 digital preformance ignitor kit coils 2.2 ohms dual port
    Primary tests at 2.4. I tested the resistance on the secondary (from plug tower to plug tower) and it is over 10, 000 which is stated as good, but still no spark from that one hole. Is it possible to get spark from only half a coil?????
    By switching leads from the crank trigger( pulse generators) I know those are good cuz the same hole remained dead on the same coil.
    I have followed dynateks recommended proceedures and am still just as confused. Any help???

Could you be arching to the frame from that hole? If not I'd return it to Dynatek and get a new one.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I would think it would be hard for it to arc to the frame with the plug wire in it and the rubber boot on the plug wire covering the hole.
      Anyone ever have this problem before???
      I thought I had it figured out till I did the resistance test between plug towers and it showed good. no Me and all the bike shops around me are all stumped.

Comment

I've seen them arc that's why I mentioned it.
        Oh snap I was just shoveling BS.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          I've seen them arc that's why I mentioned it
          My 550L dyna coils had a BAD arcing issue, due to spave constraints under the fuel tank.

The spark plug wires don't arc, lead wire the screw heads on the coils do. You could actually "hear" them arcing.

Run the bike in a dark spot (or at night on a dark, lonely road) and look for the arc...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
          X