Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb--pilot air screw tip broken, need extraction help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb--pilot air screw tip broken, need extraction help.

Okay, so it appears that the PO of my bike managed to break off the tip of the pilot air screw on #3. (I kept wondering why the screw looked shorter than the rest, and why the tip was still sticking into the carb body after I had backed it off a full one turn...)

Anyway, that sucker is REALLY stuck in there. Can anyone suggest a tool that I can buy or manufacture to get it out of there? It's a total PITA spot to work in as it a tiny opening and set fairly deep in the carb body.

HELP!

Boil the body...Then with a really SHARP dental pick, CAREFULLY push it out...should work.

Comment

Have you tried rolling a Philips screwdriver shaft across the tip to see if you can force it back up?

That's what has worked for me, the few times I have had to do it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Boil the body...Then with a really SHARP dental pick, CAREFULLY push it out...should work.
        I have the carb body in the soup right now, keep your fingers crossed for me...

Comment

No dice. Bent the heck out of the dental pick pretty well, but the screw tip still won the argument.

Any one have an extra carb body sitting around they want to get rid of?

Comment

WHich body?

Comment

WHich body?
              '77 GS750 VM carb, as you sit on the bike it's second in from the left (that's #3, right?)

Comment

No, thats TWO.

I may have one. I will look when i get home from work tonight. If I do, It will likely be a set i have to break up (i have quite a few sets of these things) so i'll not give it away. Someone may have one they want to give up, but if you have no other option, let me lknow

Comment

Okay, good news, I got it out.

I was pushing on the exposed end of the broken screw (rather hard I might add) with the corner of a crisp flat-blade screwdriver, and it made a bit of a "ping" sound and disappeared from view. I flipped the carb body over and could see it was still in the port, so I grabbed a stiff straight pin from my sewing kit (yes, I said my sewing kit; real men don't have to rely on someone else to fix their clothes) and used it to push the broken screw tip out of the port.

So now I'm off to manual-sync these puppies.

Thanks for the help, all.
                  ~Matt

Comment

Good job Matt!!! Feels GREAT, doesn't it?!!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      Good job Matt!!! Feels GREAT, doesn't it?!!!! Ray.
                      I am certainly ecstatic at being able to keep this project rolling and moving on to the next step.

That being said, I can't wait to stop tinkering and be able to go riding with my brother. He regularly rides by my house on his bike--a loud, throaty M109R--to taunt me that mine's not done yet...

Comment

There he goes now...

Comment

Good job! When you get it running, throw a nice large sprocket on the back of that sucker and DUST your brothers lawn tractor....

Comment

Good job! When you get it running, throw a nice large sprocket on the back of that sucker and DUST your brothers lawn tractor....
                            Effin' A, brother, effen' A.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Been reading this and realize the stuck idle screw tip is out. I just thought I might add this though. I have been doing some tuning on automotive carbs using a Innovate LM-1 wide band AFR meter. I guy on their forum recommends using wet toilet paper and a punch to hydraulicly push out press in air bleeds. It might work on a motorcycle carb for getting those stuck screw tips out too.

Here is a quote from the website for getting the bleeds out: "If they need to come out, it is easy to get them out using toilet paper, water and a punch. Qualify the hole in the face of the main body with a .125" drill bit and drive wet paper in the hole. It will go around the bend and hydraulic the bleed right out. Clean the paper out with drill bits and air."

Obviously you don't want to drill anything to .125" on the motorcycle carb, but I know the transfer holes he is talking about on a Holley are that size from the factory. I would think you could apply a similar procedure on some motorcycle carbs too just using smaller punches!! If someone has this work it would be good to know!!

L8tr,

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X