Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb--pilot air screw tip broken, need extraction help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strawboss View Post
    Qualify the hole in the face of the main body with a .125" drill bit and drive wet paper in the hole. It will go around the bend and hydraulic the bleed right out. Clean the paper out with drill bits and air.
    Not sure what it means to "qualify the hole", but I am guessing that it means to enlarge to .125"?

Anyway, any place on our carbs where you might be able to pack wet paper into a passage that is also occupied by the stuck screw will only drive it deeper.

I noticed that you used a variation of what I suggested:
    Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
    I was pushing on the exposed end of the broken screw (rather hard I might add) with the corner of a crisp flat-blade screwdriver, and it made a bit of a "ping" sound and disappeared from view.
    Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Have you tried rolling a Philips screwdriver shaft across the tip to see if you can force it back up?

I used the round shaft of a Philips screwdriver so I don't scratch the bore, you took a chance with the corner of a crisp flat-blade screwdriver.
    Same principle, different tool.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I used the round shaft of a Philips screwdriver so I don't scratch the bore, you took a chance with the corner of a crisp flat-blade screwdriver.
      Same principle, different tool.
      Agreed. Risky.

I didn't really want to use the flat-blade, problem was after several tries with picks and different Philips screwdrivers, the tiny, soft brass point sticking out had become a shorter, rounded-off nub. I used the crisp Philips because it was the last thing I had that I could get that could get a bite into the brass and not slip off, and because I didn't have a pick that was strong enough to apply the amount of pressure I eventually ended up using to pop that sucker out.

Comment

Working...
      X