No announcement yet.

front fork...trying to fix myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i finally got my seals in the mail, so i'm coming down the homestretch. but a snag. hope i can describe this properly:

i put the damper assembly into the inner/upper tube, and slid it into the outer/lower tube. the upper D/U ring, though, won't seat in it's slot. (i am correct, right, that this thing ultimately will seat in the upper tube just below the washer/seal/lock ring?)

first off, am i correct that i need to get it lodged into the ledge in the upper tube? secondly, is there a trick for getting it in? it is a very tight fit.

thanks. i am soooo close. have a new tire, and i could finish this off tonight if i can get it in.

Comment

please disregard...a piece of pvc pipe pushed it right in.

Comment

ok, down the homestretch.

i have the fork assembled and on the bike. new tire on. it's getting dark, so having trouble seeing the speedo cable connections. it'll have to wait until tomorrow. BUT....

how much air to i put in, and how? i have one of those little units that plug into the cigarette lighter in case of a flat....would that work?

thanks so much. i never would have thought i could do this.

Comment

NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOATHEAD???

Dont you dare use any kind of air compressor. You will stuff the seals.

DO YOU WANT TO DO THE JOB OVER AGAIN.

ONLY ever use a foot pump or hand pump to put air in your forks. The max. pressure is 36psi. But you will have to adjust this according to how the bike rides. If it's too stiff with 36 then release some air and test ride again. A lot of guys don't use the air. They just go with new Progressive Springs and adjust the ride by the weight of oil in the forks and adjust the preload with a spacer in the top of the fork tube (usually PVC).

Comment

Did you put fluid in also ? And did you give any thought to replacing the springs for newer ones ? You have come a long way grasshopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOATHEAD???

Dont you dare use any kind of air compressor. You will stuff the seals.

DO YOU WANT TO DO THE JOB OVER AGAIN.
              thanks, don...glad i asked. no, i don't want to do it over again.

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
              Did you put fluid in also ? And did you give any thought to replacing the springs for newer ones ? You have come a long way grasshopper.
              yeah paul, put fluid in. i didn't give much thought to replacing the springs. money is tight, and i ended up spending about 80 bucks here alone. you see, every task i try, i never have tools. i had to buy the seals, a vise, fork oil, a set of allen wrenches, acetone to stip the clear coat on the bottom tube, etc..it adds up quickly.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

The reason you cannot use a compressor is that there is such little room left in the fork tube after the correct amount of oil, and the springs and other bits take up space in there. And it would take only a milli second to get the correct amount of air in there. Even the workshop manual says to use a footpump.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

just to update: got everything back on the bike, and took her out for a little spin....no fork oil leak!

and you guys were correct, in that i feel pretty good that i was able to pull this off. i learned alot, and the front end at least is no longer a mystery to me.

all in all, the biggest problems were the stupid dust cover, as i didn't understand there was a groove in the bottom tube holding it....and getting the fender back on had me smashing things. oh yeah...have to get a new cotter pin for the axle nut.

thanks again.

Comment

WELL DONE.

Congrats.

Now you're an expert you can advise others.

Comment

Working...
                    X