Steering head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering head??

As a complete newbie, just replaced forks eals and a few other things inside the forks and have finally reassembled them ready to reinstall.

After I removed the front wheel etc to do the forks I noticed that there is now a large decernable notch in the middle of the steering when you move the bars from side to side. There wasn't one at all before I removed the front wheel and forks. What gives? Whats happened?

Have the steering head bearings come loose? Factory manual doesn't really go into much detail about these. I know I need a torque wrench. What is the proper proceedure for checking and tightening them (if thats the problem?) Do I do them before I replace the forks or after?

The bike was wandering around on the road even at low speeds before I did the forks - hope this will help with the new oil etc.

The notch is a worn spot in the bearing, replace them and adjust them properly.
    The wandering will go away.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks tkent02 Should the notch not have shown up before I took the forks and wheel off though? It was very smooth prior to me removing the front end. There is no front to rear movement in the forks, just the notch when turning from side to side.

The notch actually decreased markedly when I refitted the forks (haven't torqued them down yet). It seems maybe the extra weight on them helped? Might it disapear altogether with the weight of the front wheel back on, or are they just completely buggered?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko19 View Post
        The notch actually decreased markedly when I refitted the forks (haven't torqued them down yet). It seems maybe the extra weight on them helped? Might it disapear altogether with the weight of the front wheel back on, or are they just completely buggered?

You're correct about the added weight of the front end when assembled.
        May or may not completely disappear, but the bearings should still be replaced.
        Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Replace with Tapered head bearings and GREASE them up too.
          The inners rings on your frame are a BIT%^* to remove, use a long pry bar or a long hefty screw driver to knock them out.

Comment

Thanks Guys - looks like they're getting replaced then. Haven't got the funds so they'll have to wait for a bit. Don't think I'll try and tackle it myself - might get the bike shop to do it

cheers guys

Comment

These dents happen because the bearings are not properly tightened, allowing the balls or rollers to hammer into the race, instead of merely rolling across it.

Tapered bearings are better than balls in this case, but even they are not immune.
              Here is the bearing that came out of an '82 650:
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Removing those races was one of the toughest things I did in thise whole rebuild. Wound up partially cutting one out with a dremel.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  Removing those races was one of the toughest things I did in thise whole rebuild. Wound up partially cutting one out with a dremel.
                  Yep, this is what it looks like when you do that:

Cut that wedge out of there, the race will just fall out.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yep, this is what it looks like when you do that:

Cut that wedge out of there, the race will just fall out.

I thought I was just inadequate! Glad I'm not the only one who had to do this. The wheel bearings took a while to figure out the "trick", but that steering stem was a mother.

Comment

If you use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel, you will likely put a nick or two into the frame, just outside the bearing race. It won't be a problem unless you really get carried away with it. By cutting the race in two areas, you should be able to chisel away at the weakened spot without cutting past it into the frame.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If you use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel, you will likely put a nick or two into the frame, just outside the bearing race. It won't be a problem unless you really get carried away with it. By cutting the race in two areas, you should be able to chisel away at the weakened spot without cutting past it into the frame.

Yep again, put a couple little nicks in it, but no deep cuts. I had to do the same method to get the bearing off the stem itself. Without some kind of a puller I had no luck so finally just cut through the old bearing almost all the way, then hit with a chisel to break that last little bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X