HELP! GS650 Carbs are shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! GS650 Carbs are shot?

Anyone in the Houston area want to give me some help with my carbs?

I have tried everything, and they just keep leaking. Cleaned twice, then rebuilt, then used gasket sealer with the gaskets, adjusted floats, Still leaking!

I'm at my wits end and about ready to just sell it for parts! I have spent weeks now trying to get it running, and it seems the only thing wrong are the carbs.

Anyone want to help me one weekend or weeknight? Anytime after Monday the 14th would be great!

Did you replace the bowl gaskets on the carbs that leak? If so, did you examine the new gaskets very carefully to make sure they're the right ones for these carbs? Can you compare the new gaskets with the old ones?

I think there's a remote chance you got the wrong bowl gaskets.

Comment

Could be a needle and seat problem. All the needles must seal against the seats, any nick or rough spot on the needle or seat can cause leaks. There are also "O" rings on the seats, where they go in the carb, I have seen them leak.

Comment

sounds like the float needle or seat. i'm not sure if the seats are available, but you can pickup the float needle cheap (Suzuki wants $31 a piece, fyi) here:

~Adam

Comment

Update, Frosty was kind enough to IM me and walk me through leak testing and resetting floats.

Here's the results: The carb rebuild was successful, and no leaks. The floats work. I reset them and decided to err on the side of caution ans set them at 26mm. Works great. Found the main source of the leak upon real close inspection - The boots that the carb fits into to feed the engine!

3 of the 4 were leaking. I slapped some gasket sealant around the boot and neck of the carb, and this sealed off 1 of them. I figure a little additional sealant will fix it altogether. I really don't have the $$$$ to replace those boots right now, so I figured the sealant should hold for now.

I hope I didn't screw up too bad, but now she runs great! A little cold blooded, but nothing a tweak or two on the mix screw won't fix.

Thanks for your help Frosty!

Comment

Glad it's running now Brian. Now, if I could only resolve the issues on my own carbs on my 750
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Im sure you guys have heard this before but here goes.

Im sure you have heard and checked this before but I have to ask. Have you rebuilt the petcock? Mine was making the bike leak out of the airbox. I thought the carbs were the problem, even rebuilt them several times. Once I fixed the petcock though the problem was solved.

Also if you did not use rebuild kits on your carbs get new float needles. If you take your old ones to the repair counter they can match up newer ones for you that have rubber ends. They will seat great even in your old sockets. I think new bikes have them in them, and the shop I dealt with used them in all rebuilds and repairs.

Comment

Chris,

Would your petcock leak when the bike wasn't running? Mine only leaks when it's running.

I did use a rebuild kit, and the carbs themselves are now not leaking, just the induction (?) boots.

Comment

Some times both.

It coused both problems. Sometimes it would over flow while runing, other times I would come into the garage and find gas on the floor. If you have already fixed yours its probably fine. If not you would be doing yourself a favor to fix it anyways.

Comment

How much is a rebuild kit, and where can i get one?

Comment

Working...
                    X