Warped Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warped Air Box

I have an '85 GS550L. Someone tightened the clamp that holds the carb boot on the air box too tight and warped the air box. Normally the air box openings should be oval. Now the bottom part of the lip sticks up a bit. I used the search function and I couldn't find a thread on this. The air box is plastic. Has anyone dealt with this before?
    Maybe heated the air box up with a hot air gun or hair dryer and formed it back to shape?
    I fear that the boot is not sealing properly.

Havent looked up your bike, but i know the 1100 air boxes (older than your bike) are still available...IMO its simply foley to mess around with a questionable airbox when one is still available new. It might only make you crazy, and never get sorted. Just my opinion though...

Comment

I checked, unfortunately this air box is no longer available.

Comment

Keep a sharp eye on ebay and the like. I look all the time for bikes for sale like mine. Sometimes it's more of a parts bike and I email and ask if they're willing to sell one part or another. Also put a request in the Parts wanted forum here.

I think the idea of warming it up and trying to get it back into shape may work. Just be careful not to overheat it and melt it.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
        X