I broke my engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke my engine

So being the genius i am, i pulled my engine out of my gs750 and put it on a milk crate. i went to bed and when i returned to the garage it was upside down on the floor, looks like it hit on one of the small circles on the cam shaft cover?(it was broken in half a foot away) and the rod the shifter attatches to. none of the cooling fins are broken, it fell the height of a milk crate. My question is what kind of things should i check for to make sure its okay. I was planning to tear it apart anyways, should the internals be okay?

External damage, replace your broken parts and you're going to be ok.

Comment

If the cam end cap went skeetering across the floor, likely the bosses for it in the valve cover are broken.... You might hunt up another valve cover, or live with it. Its only cosmetic.

Comment

Replacement-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...Q5fAccessories
        NICE replacement-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...Q5fAccessories

Comment

If I read you right, the cap broke off, but didn't break the cam cover. If you have the cast aluminum caps like mine, they could theoretically break without bending the cam cover, but I'd want to check. Clean the cover and lay it on some glass to see if you can see under the edge of it. Or take it to a shop and have it checked for flatness. If the tach drive doesn't go through it, the shop could take a skim cut on the gasket face to flatten it. Inspect it closely for cracks first, of course. With a bit of luck, a 30-year-old, rock-hard cam cover gasket held everything straight.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

thanks guys, i was mainly concerned about the internals. that is a nice cam cover on ebay so im thinking ill just shoot for one of those and replace the parts since i plan on polishing the engine covers and cleaning it up. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X