GS750 leaking gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 leaking gas

I've been having issues with my bike running well (78 gs750). I've cleaned and replaced a lot of things on it, gone through the carb cleaning guide, replaced o-rings, and have still been having issues. I was backtracking my work today to make sure i didn't miss something in the carbs (i did) and put everything back together. When started, the bike sounds a whole lot better, but gas flows freely out of one of the carb's overflow tubes and the idle is very sporadic (I'm assuming the issues are related). This wasn't happening before I re-opened the carbs today and only happens when the engine is running. All help is greatly appreciated.

Did you adjust the floats properly? Somehow get one stuck putting the bowl back on?

Comment

Well, the good news is that if it only happens when the engine is running, at least your petcock is working properly.

The bad news is that one of your floats is stuck. Try tapping that carb with the handle of a screwdriver to see if you can re-seat the float valve.
      If that does not work, you will have to remove the carbs and open up at least that one float bowl to see what's going on.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks. Stuck float was what I was thinking, but I wanted to ask around first before I began tinkering just in case it was something else. Hopefully, I won't have to re-open the carbs then.
        If it is just stuck and tapping frees it up, are the chances good that it will happen again? Would it be recomended to open it and re-clean the inside anyway?

Comment

Try tapping it. If that clears it up, keep an eye on it for a while. If it happens again, open 'em up.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Its also POSSIBLE that one of your floats has "sprung a leak"..meaning its filling up with gas and then sinking... it happens from time to time, less likely on the BRASS floats but still happens..

Comment

I tried tapping on it, no dice. I opened up the offending carb and checked the float height, it was a little under spec at 24mm so I movied it to about 26mm. Put it back together and set the turned the bike on, still pours out gas, but not as quickly now. Is there anything else that might cause this issue? Or will I have to make continuous tweaks to the float height until I get it to work? If it has sprung a leak do I just replace the float itself or is there something else that needs done?

Comment

Working...
              X