Starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch

It looks like I need to replace my starter clutch. Who sells them online and how much are we talking?

make sure to check the end of the crank that the clutch rides on to be sure the starter clutch
    didn't damage it

Comment

starter clutch 1980 gs1000e

A few years ago i purchased 1 which was complete ,,,and never opened for 500 bucks,,,,,, but more recently i,ve purchased 1 ,,,in v g nick for 20bucks ,,,but i did put new springs and rollers/and those hardened caps in ..and they can still be gotten from suzuki for about 25bucks all up ,,,, when you have removed the st/cltch... Clean up the taper when it actually locates with 1001500 wet and dry and before securing it on the taper wiper the section with a little thinners on a reg..and wipe dry...so that theres no grease or moist on the section ..... Regards david from kaniva australia

Comment

Originally posted by robaroni View Post
        It looks like I need to replace my starter clutch. Who sells them online and how much are we talking?

What year and model? Many (but not all) models are still available from a Suzuki dealer.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Why would you need a model?!

It is a 1978 GS1000C. Sorry about that!

Comment

Rebuild or replace

Can it be rebuilt or must is be completely replaced?

Comment

Replace it. You can get everything you need for it for under $200 here:

Fill in each drop down with your info, then click on the "starter clutch" fiche. The only part in the fiche not available for your bike is the idler gear, and that generally doesn't wear out.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by robaroni View Post
                Can it be rebuilt or must is be completely replaced?

I just fixed mine, but I am told that when you do this, it is only temopary. All's that was wrong with mine, was that the three bolts that fasten it to the magneto, were sheared. The clutch housing didn't look warped in any way. You will see that it is a pretty simple mechanism after you take it off. I just purchased 3 bolts from Lowes for a few bucks to fix it. Of course use red locktite on the bolts when putting it back together. I ordered a new one from Bikebandit for $160. But it hasn't arrived yet. I might just keep it, just in case. But so far, it is holding up. A little advice for you, use a impact wrench to take off the bolt that holds on the magneto rotor on the crank, and for the puller bolt to pull the rotor off. It was a piece of cake using the wrench. I got the puller from Pitposse, for about $20. If you want to borrow mine, I'll send it to you, and when your done, just mail it back to me.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Slip, but I have access to a puller. I let you guys know how it turn out.

Comment

Working...
                  X