chain emergency? and I can't ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain emergency? and I can't ride

I finally have my bike together for the first time in a month and a half, after having some repair welding done on the case, installing new induction o-rings, etc.
    This is my first bike and I replaced the chain for good measure, well sort of good measure since I am not replacing the sprockets right now. The sprocket seem fine though.

My problem is that my Clymer manual doesn't seem to say how to install the chain without removing the swing arm. I know it can be done because several posts have alluded to it. Well I got a new 110 link 530(XO?) RK chain;$115.00 by the way. It will not reach quite far enough around the sprockets (with the tire on all the way forward) to insert the master link, it was short by about 1/2". So, I removed the axle, and with quite a bit of prying, I got the tire and axle back together with the chain on.
    Now the chain is too tight for the tire to spin.

The only differences I can see in the old chain and the new are:

flat sided links on the new as opposed "figure 8" shaped links on the old,

the width of the new chain from outside edge to outside edge is wider than the old chain, but the barrells are the same length and diameter on both,

the old chain is slightly lighter.

Also, the old chain (also 110 links) was adjusted most of the way out and still had slack.

I did have the engine out, but there doesn't seem to be any way for it to be adjusted forward or back, so what could my problem be?
    Does it sound like the old chain may be a 630, and would that explain the differences. If so how would I tell if it is a 630, and if not what can I do?

I really have no idea since both chains have the same number of links.
    Anything I can try would be appreciated, thanks,
    Billy Miles

RE: chain emergency? and I can't ride

Usually the chain has the link size stamped on one or several links, (ie. 530/630). If it's the right chain, make sure the links compare exactly. I've changed sprockets frequently with my 630 chain and have used two master links. Use a grinder and remove a link from your old chain to fit the two together. It's also a great part or two to carry under the seat for emergengies.

Comment

Is having 2 master links on the chain safe?

Comment

RE: RE: chain emergency? and I can't ride

I've driven my GS1100 about 1500miles with two master links. I can't tell you if it's safe or not. Are you positive there are no bolts that stick out parallel to the swing arm after the axle? There should be some way to adjust/move the rear axle front/back.

Comment

It does have adjusters, but it is all the way forward. Which should put the chain at its loosest.

Comment

No comment...

Nick

Comment

Check that the old and new chains are the same size.
              Make sure the back wheel is all the way forward.
              Are the sprockets standard size? Bigger front/rear sprockets than standard may make the chain tight..the old chain may have been stretched enough to not matter.

You are lucky you don't have one of those shaft drives with expensive broken transfer cases or gears )

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                No comment...

Nick

Comment

better to be 'Shafted' than to be 'Dragging your chain around'.....! :twisted:

Comment

hmmn...my GS550 was a 109 or 108 installed...we had to punch out two links i think when i got a new 110 chain. can you return the chain and get a 112 or something a little bigger?

i had a master link let go on my 550, it bent, sheared off, and the chain wrapped itself around the front sproket taking out the clutch rod and seal. i could never figure out why it did that, seeing as i just rode the bike 120 miles the day before too.

that kinda leads me to say avoid doubling master links, but if people have done it and you think it will work, try it i guess. i'd just rather you be safe about it.

~Adam

Comment

All my old chain has stamped on it is Japan and RK50. What is an RK50?
                      Thanks

Comment

If installed properly. two master links will be just fine. We do it in industrial applications routinely.

Comment

I have the RK 530XSO chain on my 400 and it used the same # of links as previously used. It was also the same # as in the manual.

Steve

Comment

Sounds like you don't have standard sized sprockets.

Front sprocket 15 teeth, rear 50 teeth.

An extra master link will be perfectly safe, if properly installed.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                              better to be 'Shafted' than to be 'Dragging your chain around'.....! :twisted:
                              "I think I'd rather take the train,
                              Than ride a bike without a chain" :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X