midrange popping/backfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

midrange popping/backfire

well after reading alot of other posts and threads, i couldent find any thing about exactly what my bike is doing. i found some simalar simptoms and used there ideas but to no avail.
    my bike is a 78gs1000 4cyl/8 valve , vmcarbs, kerker exhaust, 125 main jets, pod filters, i just made three trips to the suzuki dealer for valve shims. rebuilt the carbs new coils,points/condensors
    it should run tip top but i have a bit of midrange popping and everyonce in a while back fire between grear, it doesent really affect the performance she still screams, but its still anoying

any help would be great
    charlie

also if theres a thread/post that i missed.. let me know and i will check it out

Originally posted by robotkillerbees View Post
    well after reading alot of other posts and threads, i couldent find any thing about exactly what my bike is doing. i found some simalar simptoms and used there ideas but to no avail.
    my bike is a 78gs1000 4cyl/8 valve , vmcarbs, kerker exhaust, 125 main jets, pod filters, i just made three trips to the suzuki dealer for valve shims. rebuilt the carbs new coils,points/condensors
    it should run tip top but i have a bit of midrange popping and everyonce in a while back fire between grear, it doesent really affect the performance she still screams, but its still anoying

any help would be great
    charlie

also if theres a thread/post that i missed.. let me know and i will check it out
    ok what size are the carbs stock 26 or 29 smoothies ??
    what size is the pilot jet
    how many turns out are the pilot fuel mixture screws (if they are the stock 26mm carbs)
    what position is the clip in for your jet needle

a lean condition in your carbs is not related to RPM or speed
    it is related to throttle position and the throttle position that the popping and back firing occurred usually means a lean condition
    but in order to get rid of it you need to know the throttle position so that you can then adjust the correct circuit in the carbs to get rid of it

Comment

Try putting the needle clip one notch down. This will rasie (richen) the needle circuit.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

SEE wahe happens thanks

the fuel jets are set 2 turns out and the main jet size is 125 . the clip is in the fourth position from the top, i am going to try puting it on the last one and leaveing the air 1 1/2 turns out and the fuel 2 turns out
        and i will see what happens

charlie
        thank guys

1978 gs1000e (current)
        1980 xs400 (current)
        07 dyna superglide(current)
        previous bikes
        1980 gs1000
        sportster
        1979 xs750 tripple
        Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2009, 11:45 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

monster

cheff1366

dude your bike sounds like a monster. where on earth do you find face shields/goggles that dont blow off your head while you are rideing

charlie

Comment

Originally posted by robotkillerbees View Post
            cheff1366

dude your bike sounds like a monster. where on earth do you find face shields/goggles that dont blow off your head while you are rideing

charlie
            He doesnt...Bill rides in the nude!

Comment

Comment

sometimes you can get rid of it by enrichening the pilot circuit just a bit.

if you have a exhaust without baffle it is nearly impossible

honda bikes have a separate fuel circuit in the carbs to cure this event.

it is annoying but harmless.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  He doesnt...Bill rides in the nude!
                  That scares me and I shower with myself.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

no dice

well no dice on the fith position. it made it run like it was under water. so i tryed putting them in the third position as a control. and it looks like 4 is where it needs to be. so i will go from there tomorrow. it was running pretty good befor i messed with it. one thought is to leave it alone, but i just cant its got to be tiptop or or nothing . also i think i will change out the clutch and springs next week . it seems slipping a bit so that cant be helping either.
                    another note. i have never changed out a cam chain, now i am able to build a jig to feed a new one in while pulling out the old one ,as to not missalign the cam sprokets. the question is where or can you find a cam chain with a masterlink

and right on , nakid rider that is why america rocks!

Comment

this happend twice today

Comment

square one, almost

well i put the clips back in the forth position , pulled off the carbs sealed up any possible leak(because of sputs coming from the carbs)
                        noticed a small oil weepage went to tighten the bolt it was closest too cracked the valve cover and snaped off the bolt. so she is on hold untill i get a new valve cover, then i will pick up where i left off. , im in to deep now to just give up, i know when i get it dialed in just right . it will fly

Comment

geting closer

well even wih the crack in he valve cover i coulden resist playing with it. and im getting closer, just so happens i didint really know anyhing about these carbs, i scowerd this sight and found ou some really good suff, so i sarted off with the mains took out the 125's and put in 120'sseems to be running great after 5k. so tomorrow im on to the needle jets. and from what i have read and been told thats where the problem with the midrange popping should be

also iv been told the pod filters are a bad idea. do to turbulance causeing lean/rich/lean/rich conditions
                          either way the stock air box is not going back on. butt does any one know if there is a cfm rateing for the sock air box im thinking about at least makeing a custom one and kicking he pods to the kurb

Comment

got skinny

on a good note. when i was doing a shake down ride last week. i took my bike to the transfer station(the dump). and the lady there let me put it on the scale, it weighed in at 460lbs (+/- 5lbs scale sensitivty) the original bike weight was 562 i think
                            so it lost 20% of its original weight

when i get thses carbs figured out its going to be a death trap
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2009, 09:08 PM. Reason: forgot the t in to

Comment

new clutch

just got my new barnett clutch and heavy duty springs. going to put them in tomorrow night. decided to take a break from the carbs and get back to enjoying working on the bike.
                              also someone asked for photos of how i made this bike . sorry couldent find the message but i put them in my album for viewing

Comment

Working...
                              X