Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 Gs450L Low rpm issues. Slow take offs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 Gs450L Low rpm issues. Slow take offs.

I have a 1985 Gs450L. The bike will run fine in 2nd-6th gear. no issues what so ever there. But when i take off from a stop or just rolling and I punch the throttle the rpms dance from 0-2900. Up and down like its debating if it wants to go higher. But once it crosses 3000rpms the bike takes off like hitting a power band and its fine. This issue causes me problems because I cant pull out into traffic, the bike just puts along til it slowly gains speed then it has all the response you want. Air filter looked fine, spark plugs looked good. Took the carb off and opened the top and bottom up, looks clean as can be. Might be something deep down in the jets? What other issue could it be if not the carb?

You should service the carbs per the Clymer or Suzuki manual. I've found that most of my problems like this are cleaning and adjustment related.

-Matt

Comment

I had the same issue... nothing for a while and then dislocated wrists!!!

I stripped my carbs (AGAIN) as I believed it was only running on one at low speed.... when the 2nd kicked in ........away it went.

Anyway.. I was examining the diaphragm and spotted a tiny hole in it.. I have a spare set so replaced it and the problem went away.

Good luck....

Comment

I also had a failing coil.. Starting was a bitch.. After the fun I had removing, drilling and replacing the header bolts (another thread) I took it for a spin and one failed... it worked when cold for about 5 minutes though... I was gutted.. almost ready to throw in the towel with it..

Anyway.. ebay to the rescue.. coil arrived today.. I had to "adapt" everything with an angle grinder but the older (fatter) coild works great.. started right of and revved great.. normally there was horrible bagging until it was good and hot.

Failing coil was 4.7 ohms the other was 4.0 I didnt test the one I put in.. too much of a hurry to get riding again..

Comment

Thats good. After a Carb clean, my problem was better but not fixed. I turned my idle up a little more, I made the clutch more sensitive, and just learned to rev this bike up before taking off and the bikes working great now. Can't be happier with it, have no more issues taking off.

Comment

Very cool!!.. Mine going great too.. these bikes are just great little run a rounds..

I used to have to really hold it open before it would tick over.. but after the last carb teardown.. I can start on choke, run for 30 seconds, choke off and it will tick over... (I have to turn my steering to the right as it revs higher that way) then as it warms I usually have my gear on and turn the bars the other way.. it then ticks over at about 750 - 800 rpm.. very nice!

My wife "dared" to hop on the back for a run.. She hasn't ridden pillion since I lived in England and I had an XJ900 ...it pulls VERY well for a 450.. I'm very pleased with it.

Glad yours is running OK at last... I must have done a dozen carb tear downs before mine was OK..

She wants a backrest now.... any Ideas where to get one???

Women!! *l*
            Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

hahaha... your "MotoMike"!! I was googling GS450L back rests and you came up on a Yahoo board..

I just ordered a universal one from ebay... I hope it's ok for my sissy bar

Comment

I literally just sold my back rest and luggage rest combo to someone from chicago. he came and picked it up. im young, i dont need that stuff. i just put on a backpack and ride around.

Comment

Originally posted by Headspin View Post
                  (I have to turn my steering to the right as it revs higher that way)
                  Your throttle cable is to tight, loosen it a little.

Comment

I actually like it that way.. Otherwise it wont tick over when it's cold. It doesn't affect the riding as it has to be RIGHT over to do it..

I was just turning the adjust screw one turn at one point but prefer this way...

Sweet bike btw.. I remember we were touring England and my friends GS850 fell off it's side stand (we were on Bodmin Moor) and broke his front brake lever.. he was 2 up, it was raining.. and the terrain was pretty hilly.. I found a piece of plywood by the roadside and carved him a new one.. That was probably 24 years ago.. I spoke to him last year and he says he still remembers it, thought it was brilliant and STILL HAS IT.. I was impressed.!

Good days, glad you revived one.. I always wanted a GS850

Comment

Working...
                    X