Is this chain serviceable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this chain serviceable?

This bike was outside and not operated for 6 years. Can or should I salvage this chain? Is changing it too difficult for a newbie? Thanks for your input.

That chain is rooted!. Get a new one mate.
    By the time you get it off you have done half the job of putting a new one on.
    Cheers

Comment

A little WD-40 and you're good to go....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Knock it off Bob, he may try it!

Comment

Soak it in kerosene for two years.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

okay.... so I'm guessing I probably should have known on my own. Thanks guys, gives me an excuse to take it all the way to the frame anyway. Got dang near everything else off so what the heck?!

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              hahahahahaahahahahaahahh

Comment

That's bogus info right there. I only had to soak mine for 18 months NOT 2 years.

Consider doing a 530 chain conversion when you get your new chain and sprockets, just do a search for 530 chain conversion and you should find all kinds of great info.

Comment

Check out the 530 chain conversions from Z1 enterprises...well worth the savings, I wouldn't trust your old chain..

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Working...
                  X