Gas leak 1984 700 gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leak 1984 700 gs

When I put gas in the tank it holds for maybe 10 15 minutes then starts to leak from the air cleaner??? A tube going down from the air box. It pours out... I put a new gas tank on recently and didn't know where the hoses went... could this be the problem? Tried to post a pic of where the gas leaks from "AD image" asks for URL address??? My pics are saved in my documents what is the URL address??? This club needs a place to post a pic of problem. Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM. Reason: adding more info..

Welcome to the GSR ..

You can put your picture right inside your post.

Comment

Your petcock is possibly bad, I would highly recommend getting the carbs re-built and cleaned.

In order to post a pic you must host it, I use photobucket.

Comment

You either have:

1) A vacuum petcock which is leaking past the diaphragm directly into one of the carbs through the vacuum line, or

2) a leaking needle valve in one of the carb float bowls and: a manual petcock left ON, a vacuum petcock left on PRIME, or a malfunctioning vacuum petcock

You can check for #1 by pulling the vacuum line and seeing if any gas comes out. If it's #2 you likely have dirt or rust in the tank and sitting in your float bowls as well, and it's probably time for a tank and carb cleaning. Best not to leave your vacuum petcock on PRIME (or manual on ON). You're asking a lot of those little float needles to hold back your fuel pressure perfectly when the bike's not running. You can also try rapping on your float bowls with a block of wood to see if you can knock the needles into their seats, but if there's a chunk of dirt or rust in their way there's little help other than carb overhaul.

Comment

gas leak

I just had the carbs rebuilt and put on a new gas tank. I think the hoses are not connected correctly. Need a diagram of the gas tank and hoses. I saw a post of where the hoses come from the carb but nothing to show the gas tank connection.

Comment

Working...
          X