No announcement yet.

82 gs650g bike help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered a starter relay off of ebay. we will see if thats it. I also found that something is draining the battery. I have no clue what it could be..

Comment

Did you go through the tests on The Stator Papers ?? They can be found here...If you haven't, they are highly recommended to solve your charging issues.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The case of your solenoid needs to be grounded for it to work. It may have lost it ground during the fall. As the other post just run a jumper from the pos side of the battery to the small post on the solenoid and see if it starts, if its grounded and you jump it as discribed and nothing its bad. Good luck

Comment

OK here is an up date.....
          I bought a new starter relay hooked it up and the ground going from relay to wiring harness and through the harness melted.. So i pulled all wires and checked them and reinstalled a new ground. Got harness back on. And now am back at square one. The start push button still not working. but am gettin power to relay when button is pushed..

Any Ideas

Comment

luca what do you mean amll post all i see are the two post to but wires and and two small screws

Comment

Clutch switch is disabled i think the 2 ends are soldered together this. is the ways it was before my problem so i know bike will work with wires this way....My only thought could be a bad starter relay again.... i am going to try and get one from napa to day as opposed to the suzuki one which ive allready had 2 bad ones.. Any other thoughts????

Comment

Are you pulling in the Clutch?

My inputs anyway....

-For the bike to start, the clutch has got to be engaged. As you say it started once, I would guess you know that already.

-Step 1 should be to check voltage on battery. If its too low she won't crank or do anything. Is the battery new? On a trickle charger? If not new, you may want to pull it and have it checked at Autozone...could have a full charge but drop off too quickly under load.

-Assuming voltage is good on the battery, I'd wrap a rope around the clutch pull to keep it engaged to have a hand free. Check voltage at the solinoid when you hit start, if voltage is good, check the voltage at teh starter motor (below the carbs under a metal cover)...follow the wire. If you've got good voltage at the screw where the wire disappears you're next step is to pull the starter out and clean it. PITA to get it out, but can do it without removing the carbs off the bike.

Once you get it started, rev it up to 4-5k and check voltage at the battery to see if you're charging system is working or not.....

Comment

don't chase guesses.....

follow the voltage before you start replacing parts that might be fine....there are brushes inside the starter motor that wear down over time...also when I cleaned mine the first time it was pretty coated with grease/grim between the brushes and the copper spindle of the starter....

Comment

Have allready done voltage checks. Bike starts it I arch solenoid. Clutch switch is disabled. Just need to know wher to put yellow/green wire on new solenoid below

Comment

got me stumped...

solinoid is one thing I've not had to replace.....good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X