Carb needle question '83 GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb needle question '83 GS1100ED

I'm tearing into my carbs to tweak the jetting and I have a question about the needle spacers and washers. Bikebandit shows, from top to bottom, spacer, e-clip, washer, then spring. I have spacer, smaller diameter washer, e-clip, larger diameter washer, then spring. The bike was jetted at some time by a shop and later I installed a Dynojet kit. It's possible that the shop shimmed the needles but I can't remember. Is the correct sequence as shown in the BikeBandit schematic?

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Plastic spacer, e-clip, thin washer, spring is correct.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks Brett. I re-read the Dynojet instructions and they add the small washer: "Install the small K&N washer above the e-clip". I don't understand this as the small washer looks to be exactly the same thickness as the spacing between the grooves on the needle so adding the washer effectively lowers the needle one notch. The instructions for both the stage 1 and stage 3 say to install the small washers. Do you remember adding the washers when you installed your stage 1 kit?

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I don't remember what I did, I assume I followed the instructions. I'm looking at the Stage I kit instructions for the GS700 and it states to install the K&N washer above the e-clip. However, the diagram shows two washers below the e-clip and one (the plastic spacer, presumably), above the clip. Putting the extra washer below the clip would have no real affect on needle height, it would only place the spring under more tension. Placing it above the clip would indeed lower the needle a small amount.

Hmm... Because I'm fairly consistent with my thought processes, I would think that I went through the same scenario in my head at installation time as I did just now, and placed the washer above the e-clip, simply because it accomplishes nothing to put it below the clip.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

You are correct Brett..the DJ washer goes ABOVE the clip...Joe, if you decide that your "happy spot" on the needle position ends up BETWEEN two clip slots (as mine did on my ES) you will need to add ANOTHER washer as well as the DJ washer to get your "half clip" spacing.

Just for reference, My 1100ES ended up like this:

Main DJ138
          Needle clip 3.5 from the bottom (the KIT will tell you three from the top, but you'll likely find it quite lean and surgy if you follow their specific instructions)
          Stock pilot
          INSTALL DJ Air Correcter Jet (if your stock air corrector is larger than a 170, you'll have trouble dialing in the pilot and have back popping thru the pipe on decel..Im STILL tuning that out, BTW, You will also, ive found, get back popping if youre TOO RICH on the pilot too..as ive recently found out...You shut the throttle, an over rich mix gets evacuated into the pipe, good and hot, and....pop pop pop pop...thats my theory anyway..

Comment

DJ kit
            spacer/small washer/e-clip/stock washer/spring
            I add half notches with an extra washer under the small washer but over the e-clip.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              You are correct Brett..the DJ washer goes ABOVE the clip...Joe, if you decide that your "happy spot" on the needle position ends up BETWEEN two clip slots (as mine did on my ES) you will need to add ANOTHER washer as well as the DJ washer to get your "half clip" spacing.

Just for reference, My 1100ES ended up like this:

Main DJ138
              Needle clip 3.5 from the bottom (the KIT will tell you three from the top, but you'll likely find it quite lean and surgy if you follow their specific instructions)
              Stock pilot
              INSTALL DJ Air Correcter Jet (if your stock air corrector is larger than a 170, you'll have trouble dialing in the pilot and have back popping thru the pipe on decel..Im STILL tuning that out, BTW, You will also, ive found, get back popping if youre TOO RICH on the pilot too..as ive recently found out...You shut the throttle, an over rich mix gets evacuated into the pipe, good and hot, and....pop pop pop pop...thats my theory anyway..
              Josh,

I can't remember.....are you running PODs? If so, K&N or otherwise? I'm running K&N PODs and a Supertrapp stainless system with 8 disks.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                Josh,

I can't remember.....are you running PODs? If so, K&N or otherwise? I'm running K&N PODs and a Supertrapp stainless system with 8 disks.

Thanks,
                Joe
                Yeah Joe, Im running KN Pods, 'Trapp header with the alu slip on can (no its not as sweet as yours ) And I very the amount of discs i have in it, depending. Right now i have 15 or 16 in it. Any less than 8, ive read, is just as restrictive as a stock system, so keep that in mind.

Comment

Yeah Joe, Im running KN Pods, 'Trapp header with the alu slip on can (no its not as sweet as yours ) And I very the amount of discs i have in it, depending. Right now i have 15 or 16 in it. Any less than 8, ive read, is just as restrictive as a stock system, so keep that in mind.

Maybe, but it sounds way cooler than stock.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

I have to verify the number of disks currently installed as I change from time to time also. I try to balance nice sound with a reasonable noise level. That balance point seems to change with my mood.........

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I have to verify the number of disks currently installed as I change from time to time also. I try to balance nice sound with a reasonable noise level. That balance point seems to change with my mood.........

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      I'm a jerk. I dont give a crap what everyone else has to endure, I just put earphones or plugs in...LOL! I do wish it was a little quieter sometimes, but the times ive gone with less discs, i can really tell she's stopped up, and not happy..

Comment

Josh,

What did you end up with for mixture screw settings? Dynojet says to start at 2.5 turns out but I've heard a lot of people end up more like 3-4 turns out.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Its gonna depend on your air corrector jets. What size do you have in there? DJ is a bit off from their directions I have found, but not much. I still havent settled on a mix screw setting, but i also just yanked the ginormous air correctors someone had in my carbs out....

Comment

Okay, here are my findings:

Starting settings:

K&N Pods
                            Supertrapp stainless system, 12 disks
                            Main - DJ138
                            Pilot - 50
                            Mix screws - 1.5 out
                            Needle - DJ, bottom groove (highest needle)
                            Symptoms - Somewhat hard to start when cold needing full choke, stumbling just off idle, rough (stumble) when applying throttle at small openings, slight stumble around 6-7K when applying full throttle

Ending settings:

K&N Pods
                            Main - DJ138
                            Pilot - 45 (Stock size, per Dynojet instructions - Thanks TWR1776!)
                            Mix screws 3.25 turns out
                            Needle - DJ, third groove from bottom
                            Symptoms - Starts easier when cold with less choke, settles into idle without choke quicker, very slight stumble (surge?) at very small throttle openings noticeable only in first gear, clean at 1/4 throttle and up, pulls cleanly to redline, more responsive when accelerating from small throttle openings.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Okay, here are my findings:

Starting settings:

K&N Pods
                              Main - DJ138
                              Pilot - 50
                              Mix screws - 1.5 out
                              Needle - DJ, bottom groove (highest needle)
                              Symptoms - Somewhat hard to start when cold needing full choke, stumbling just off idle, rough (stumble) when applying throttle at small openings, slight stumble around 6-7K when applying full throttle

Ending settings:

K&N Pods
                              Main - DJ138
                              Pilot - 45 (Stock size, per Dynojet instructions - Thanks TWR1776!)
                              Mix screws 3.25 turns out
                              Needle - DJ, third groove from bottom
                              Symptoms - Starts easier when cold with less choke, settles into idle without choke quicker, very slight stumble (surge?) at very small throttle openings noticeable only in first gear, clean at 1/4 throttle and up, pulls cleanly to redline, more responsive when accelerating from small throttle openings.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Thanks,
                              Joe
                              Joe, you have any back popping when closing the throttle at around 5K as its winding down??

Comment

Working...
                              X