GS550 Manifold boot/sync question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Manifold boot/sync question

Well, I'm going to think twice about using PartsShark again...I placed an order for a set of manifold boots because they were the lowest price I could find. I know, I know; you get what you pay for! First they charged my $12 for shipping, which wasn't even USPS priority mail, then they took a week to fill the order! Then it was shipped UPS snail mail. I know I'm whining, and that they're probably a great resource, but a week to fill an order? Come on!
    Ok, that's off the chest...I won't be getting the boots in until next week so I had time to move on to other aspects of the job. Here is the manometer I've made to sync the carburetors. My question to the more knowledgeable members of the forum: What do you recommend using that fits into the threaded holes of the manifold and adapts to the 1/4" interior of the tubing?

Thanks

A week to turn around an order is not good, but it's not that bad either. After you place the order they have to order from Suzuki, wait for the parts, count and verify the parts are all there, and then pack and ship to you.

Regarding the sync port adapters, you can make them pretty easily.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the perspective. I will keep that in mind.
      Looking at your adapters, I'm assuming you drilled out the screws or did you buy them like that? Also, is that copper tubing secured with JB Weld?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by supertech411 View Post
        Thanks for the perspective. I will keep that in mind.
        Looking at your adapters, I'm assuming you drilled out the screws or did you buy them like that? Also, is that copper tubing secured with JB Weld?

Thanks!
        Yes, drill the screws and use JB Weld. It helps to use a drill press when drilling the holes. The tubing is sold by the foot by most hardware stores. Pretty easy job.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

No one is out there sitting on a vast warehouse of old Suzuki parts. Except Suzuki, I guess. And we ordinary mortals are not allowed to order direct.

But the point is, ALL retailers have to order parts from Suzuki. Suzuki ships the parts to the dealer, and then the dealer ships them to you. A week is blazing fast, especially for older parts that might be stuffed into the back of some dusty warehouse in California, or even Japan.

As far as the adaptors, you can get them from Z1 -- Suzukis use 5mm.
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

sync tubes

could you list parts and how to make the sync. tool-looks easy to make and alot cheaper than buying one.

Comment

A weeks time shipping for OEM Suzuki parts is fast i think. I waited 2 weeks when i ordered from Flatout the first time for my intake boots. Last time i ordered parts, before they handed it off to Parts Shark it took them around 1 week.

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
                could you list parts and how to make the sync. tool-looks easy to make and alot cheaper than buying one.
                Yes, it's probably a lot cheaper and easy to make, but please be VERY CAREFUL using it.

There is no reservoir for extra fluid, and your cylinders will be pulling against each other, not against a common supply. What are you planning on using for fluid? Your fluid choice will have to agree with the height of the tubes that you use. I know that one guy that tried to make his own gauge had to extend his tubes to about 7 feet in length to keep the fluid from being sucked into the engine. Keep in mind that the 7 feet has to be vertical, it won't work if it's laying on the floor.

I still say that for all the hassle and time involved in trying to engineer a new gauge, you can buy a set of four dials for about $50-60 or a "mystery fluid"-filled gauge from Motion Pro for about $80, or, for about $85, get what many feel is the best unit, the Carbtune. The Carbtune has a distinct advantage in portability as it uses NO fluid and comes with its own carrying case. I have, however heard that the adapters provided to connect the vacuum tubes to the manifolds could use some improving, so all is not necessarily perfect, even with the 'best' gauge.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post

Parts for the homemade manometer and how much they cost me:

1 12"x24" piece of scrap 1/2" plywood: $0
                  Enough Kils white paint for two coats: $0
                  Fine point Sharpie for the lines: $0
                  Two 20' rolls of 1/4" interior diameter tubing purchased in the plumbing isle at Home Depot. $18
                  One box of GB 7/8" nail down wire ties. $3
                  Half a bottle of brake fluid: $2

Warning: I am figuring this out as I go along. Though I feel comfortable with my mechanical and troubleshooting abilities, I am new to working on bikes and am dependent on resources like this forum. I too wanted to save some cash, so I started looking for other options. I saw a picture on one of these things on the VFR web site.
                  Each of the tubes are about 10' long. I made sure the tubes are extra long so I have time to shut the bike down if all the fluid starts being pulled up one tube. The hardest part of the whole project was filling the tubes. First I marked on the tubes where I wanted the oil level to be. Then I filled up a squeeze bottle oiler with the brake fluid and inserted the tip into the junction point of two tubes and filled until it hit the mark. Make sure to loop the end of the tubes over something so the fluid doesn't run out. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    No one is out there sitting on a vast warehouse of old Suzuki parts. Except Suzuki, I guess. And we ordinary mortals are not allowed to order direct.

But the point is, ALL retailers have to order parts from Suzuki. Suzuki ships the parts to the dealer, and then the dealer ships them to you. A week is blazing fast, especially for older parts that might be stuffed into the back of some dusty warehouse in California, or even Japan.

As far as the adaptors, you can get them from Z1 -- Suzukis use 5mm.
                    http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=3263

Thanks for the lead on the adapters!

I know I was being a whiner about the parts. I guess I'm spoiled by my internet dealings with normal stuff. I can see now how getting parts for 28 year old bike is a different deal altogether. I suppose I should be thankful that they're even still available.

Comment

Working...
                    X