Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions on handling GS700e (1985)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions on handling GS700e (1985)

A fella here wrote this in response to my post about my new bike (hopefully monday) and about how they handle;

"the 16 inch front wheel is more twitchy and requires more talent to ride at speeds and higher lean angles. it is prone to tucking, skiddering and overloading the suspension when you get aggressive. the diameter increase to 17" didn't come around until the middle 90's better smoother and easier on the frame."

I've never heard the term tucking before, can someone please explain it like you were talking to a five year old, skiddering might need a little of the same.

I get that the smaller front wheel changes the bikes tendency' and makes for quicker steering, my 1985 GPz550 has a little quicker turn in then my 1985 650sc Nighthawk.

I have a stack of older Cycle mags and from what I read, alot of guys there love both the 750 and 700 version of this motorcycle 1985 GS700e.

Thanks, Rick

The 3rd generation 750 handles nicely. The small wheel does make for light steering but it's nothing to be paranoid about. The "tucking under" reference is when the front wheel understeers and feels like it's turning in too much. Unless you ride very hard I doubt you will ever experience anything like this as long as you have decent tires on the bike.

Good luck,
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tucking is when you lose the front end. The tire loses traction & you lowside about 95% of the time if the front tucks. Ray.

Comment

You don't steer or turn a GS700 into a curve, you "flick" it into a curve. You don't have to muscle it through a curve, you set your line and ride through it.

I don't know where all the angst is coming from. This is the third thread you've started about the bike, and other than one guy who doesn't own one, you've heard lots of positive things about it, as well as referencing Cycle magazine articles on your own. I also have Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazine articles on it, and both of them in their 1983 750 superbike comparisons chose it as their favorite street bike over the Interceptor and GPZ (they both chose the Interceptor as the best performing bike when ractrack handling and power were included into the mix).

Check it out thoroughly to the best of your abilities. Maybe there is an experienced GSer nearby who can go with you. If it checks out to your satisfaction, buy it, make sure it's completely road ready, then ride the hell out of it. Don't worry so much.

It's not a two-wheeled Corvair.....
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Absolutely, its coming monday or tuesday and I plan to ride the pants off it!

Thanks, so much for all the help, and I'll be quiet now....

Rick

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          You don't steer or turn a GS700 into a curve, you "flick" it into a curve. You don't have to muscle it through a curve, you set your line and ride through it.

I don't know where all the angst is coming from. This is the third thread you've started about the bike, and other than one guy who doesn't own one, you've heard lots of positive things about it, as well as referencing Cycle magazine articles on your own. I also have Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazine articles on it, and both of them in their 1983 750 superbike comparisons chose it as their favorite street bike over the Interceptor and GPZ (they both chose the Interceptor as the best performing bike when ractrack handling and power were included into the mix).

Check it out thoroughly to the best of your abilities. Maybe there is an experienced GSer nearby who can go with you. If it checks out to your satisfaction, buy it, make sure it's completely road ready, then ride the hell out of it. Don't worry so much.

Comment

Originally posted by rkj2002 View Post
            A fella here wrote this in response to my post about my new bike (hopefully monday) and about how they handle;

"the 16 inch front wheel is more twitchy and requires more talent to ride at speeds and higher lean angles. it is prone to tucking, skiddering and overloading the suspension when you get aggressive. the diameter increase to 17" didn't come around until the middle 90's better smoother and easier on the frame."

I've never heard the term tucking before, can someone please explain it like you were talking to a five year old, skiddering might need a little of the same.

I get that the smaller front wheel changes the bikes tendency' and makes for quicker steering, my 1985 GPz550 has a little quicker turn in then my 1985 650sc Nighthawk.

I have a stack of older Cycle mags and from what I read, alot of guys there love both the 750 and 700 version of this motorcycle 1985 GS700e.

Thanks, Rick
            If that quote is referring to all bikes, it's hog wash as my bike has 19" front wheels stock and it's an 80's bike. If it's referring to just the 700, did they even make 700's (not 750's but "700") in the 90's?

Like said just ride your ride, the performance and handling is good enough, the bike isn't that ancient yet. However if your nitpicking things like wheel diameter to make handling and performance decisions/estimates, just get a brand new crotch rocket as nothing from the 80's will compare with the latest and greatest.

Comment

I have ridden an 83750ES with the same setup reasonably aggressively - EXTREMELY easy bike to ride & very confidence inspiring.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Another (83)750 rider here.

I don't have a ton of experience on lots of bikes (had 4 so far) so I'm no authority. I might even be considered a newbie as I've only been riding 6 seasons and likely have less than 10,000 km in the saddle total.This bike is extremely easy to ride and, as mentioned, handles like a dream. It turns without a lot of conscious thought and can be flicked in an out with a lot of confidence.

I've been on it now for 3 seasons and it is a bike I could stick with for many more (economics willing).It has all the performance you really need and can realistically use on the street. You won't outgrow it quickly.

The only drawback for me personally is that it is a little top heavy at low speed and as I have a weak left leg I've had the odd issue holding it up and or moving it in and out of the garage. Underway it seems light as a feather.

I think if you can master this bike you will certainly have little problem with more modern sportbikes. I'd like to try one just to see.

Don't over think this just get out and ride. If you don't like it trade it and move on.

Good luck.
                spyug

Comment

My first ever brand NEW bike was an 85 GS700ES & that bike was actually a VERY stable, great handling bike! It never did anything unpredictable, & with a V&H pipe & a set of 29 smoothbores was FAST in it's day. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                    If that quote is referring to all bikes, it's hog wash as my bike has 19" front wheels stock and it's an 80's bike. If it's referring to just the 700, did they even make 700's (not 750's but "700") in the 90's?

Like said just ride your ride, the performance and handling is good enough, the bike isn't that ancient yet. However if your nitpicking things like wheel diameter to make handling and performance decisions/estimates, just get a brand new crotch rocket as nothing from the 80's will compare with the latest and greatest.
                    I've looked at a few of the newer bikes; Honda 919, Kawasaki 750 and the yamaha 600 (all sit up machines) but I just can't relate to them. Outside of one Sportster I've ridden Nortons all my life; I worked and later raced for Ghost Motorcycle in portwashington new york, so I was at it early. I'm 64 and I ain't riding no stinkin sport bike.

I like asking questions with people who ride these bikes not just reading about them, what started me off on the tariff bike was the prolink rear end, they seem to handle and ride like a dream, at least my 85 GPz550 does. I was amazed how that little bike runs and feels. I'm just looking for a machine I can do some serious road work with. I'm sure I'll personalize it to some degree but the Suzuki could be the one, and I won't be able to buy anything else for a long time anyway I'm sure its going to be a nice dance next week.

Cheers, Rick

Comment

Thanks, I think you're right. most of my craziness is behind me anyway, the 700 should be enough bike for me to keep with traffic and from what all you guys say it'll be a fun ride.

Thanks spyug

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      Another (83)750 rider here.

I don't have a ton of experience on lots of bikes (had 4 so far) so I'm no authority. I might even be considered a newbie as I've only been riding 6 seasons and likely have less than 10,000 km in the saddle total.This bike is extremely easy to ride and, as mentioned, handles like a dream. It turns without a lot of conscious thought and can be flicked in an out with a lot of confidence.

I've been on it now for 3 seasons and it is a bike I could stick with for many more (economics willing).It has all the performance you really need and can realistically use on the street. You won't outgrow it quickly.

The only drawback for me personally is that it is a little top heavy at low speed and as I have a weak left leg I've had the odd issue holding it up and or moving it in and out of the garage. Underway it seems light as a feather.

I think if you can master this bike you will certainly have little problem with more modern sportbikes. I'd like to try one just to see.

Don't over think this just get out and ride. If you don't like it trade it and move on.

Good luck.
                      spyug

Comment

First ride

I got the bike last night, nice, really nice; tight, quiet and strong. Had a little conk out but it worked out in the end (I include a little story I wrote to a few friends today in email.

Hey Guys and Girls

Last night around midnight Lou brought me my latest baby, its a 1985 GS700e,
                        one owner always taken care of and stored inside. Today I had my first
                        outing and it conked on me; battery dead.

I walked it over to a hill and tried to bump start it and it almost caught,
                        I pulled over on the grass and took the seat off and checked the battery (I
                        knew what happened, I was just seeing if any of the other bikes had a
                        battery that would fit the Suzuki), it looked like the Kawasaki' battery so
                        I just had to figure out how to get home to get it.

About that time a young guy goes by on a beautiful Ducati (2006) 800, he
                        goes to the end of the street and turns around and pulls over behind me and
                        leans his on the next fence post, after a small chat I asked him if he would
                        give me a lift on the back of his bike to the house, not 1/2 mile away. He
                        says (I swear, I'm not making any of this up, I have pictures to prove it)
                        take mine home and bring back your car with a fresh battery (no make sure
                        you lock mine, nothing, just take it I'll wait here) there's only a solo
                        seat on mine (nice gunfighter seat by Corbin I think).

So, I hoist myself on his machine and off I go, get back to the house and
                        pull the battery out of the GPz and take off in the car, the new battery
                        worked fine and I say, choose your ride- That Bmw a stick?

So off we went back here, chatted for awhile, he loved the Fiat and it turns
                        out he's got a few bikes too. He rides dirt!

By that time he was running late so he took his bike out of the shop and off
                        he went..... Who was that masked man on that Red superbike?

I put the meter on mine and the charging system is toast, oh well.... Runs
                        like new though, other than the charging system, strong, quiet and tight.
                        Handles like a dream too...

So, I'm thinking the alternator is under the left side front motor cover, and the regulator? Whats involved getting it off please? I'm fairly well equipped here.

I'm thinking of using these guys;

Aftermarket Motorsport Electrics parts for motorcycles, dirtbikes, atvs, motosport vehicles manufactured and distributed by Rick's Motorsport Electrics

Any ideas would be great. Thanks, Rick

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

Comment

Go through the tests in the stator papers first.. you may find it's just a bad ground - I did.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Go through the tests in the stator papers first.. you may find it's just a bad ground - I did.

Dan
                            You can find Stator Papers on the GSR home page. It will lead you through an analysis of the entire charging system.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

stator/rec

Are those stator papers 17 pages long?, I just want to make sure I'm in the right place, please.

Can someone give me a location for the stator and the rectifier, please.

Anybody know what the GS means (grand sport?)

Back to the stator papers- Thanks, Rick

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              You can find Stator Papers on the GSR home page. It will lead you through an analysis of the entire charging system.

Comment

Working...
                              X